VMware ESXI 7.0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on other (unsupported) hosts like FreeBSD.
IT_TECH

VMware ESXI 7.0

Post by IT_TECH »

Good afternoon.

Vmware ESXI 7.0 does not install on virtual box 6.1.4. It does not recognize the network adapters available on VirtualBox 6.1.4.

Any solutions to this?
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Re: VMware ESXI 7.0

Post by towo2099 »

Any solutions to this?
Don't do that.
It makes not many sense installing a virtualisation inside a virtual machine.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Nested virtualization is only supported for the combination of hypervisors from the same manufacturer. This holds true for Oracle VirtualBox, Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware ESXi/WorkStation/...
IT_TECH

Post by IT_TECH »

I am talking about the network adapters. Installing 6.7 works fine with the intel mt 1000 server adapter that is available on virtual box. They are going to have to supply different network adapters.. so that esxi 7 can install.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

It sounds like ESXI 7 does install inside the Virtualbox guest, but does not recognize any of the virtual network adapters provided by Virtualbox. (Unless the installer crashes out because the adapters aren't recognized?)

The same thing happens on real PCs all the time. The OS doesn't have drivers for the hardware, so the user must provide the drivers.

I did the same thing for XP in Virtualbox for a while, when I wanted to use the Intel MT Desktop adapter in the XP guest, but XP didn't have drivers for it. I downloaded drivers from Intel, ran them in the XP guest, then XP recognized the MT adapter. Then I found out that the T Server adapter had native drivers in XP.... And then I found out that it didn't matter, Virtualbox pumps the network data into the guest as fast as the hardware can take it, whether the virtual adapter is called 10mbps, 100, or gigabit. They all act as gigabit if the host's adapter is gigabit, etc....

The way I see it, you would have three choices:
1. Get drivers compatible with ESXI for one of the adapters Virtualbox provides.
2. Use a USB-to-Ethernet adapter in the guest to put a compatible adapter into ESXI.
3. Don't run ESXI in a Virtualbox guest.

The possible 4th choice:
IT_TECH wrote:They are going to have to supply different network adapters.. so that esxi 7 can install.
depends on who "they" are. If "they" means Virtualbox, don't hold your breath. The devs will provide network adapters natively compatible with ESXI when paying Oracle customers want to run ESXI in a Virtualbox guest. No other way to say that. Money makes the world go round... (and paying customers have direct access to the devs as part of their support contract so they wouldn't be posting in the free forums).
However, "they" can be users. If you want to model an ESXI-compatible adapter and present it to the devs, they would look at it when they get a chance and if the model is good they might accept it. User-contributed code is implemented at times.
IT_TECH

Post by IT_TECH »

I'll just go to servermonkey get me a network card that is compatible and run it natively. I guess it is not going to work out with Virtualbox. Thanks everyone.