VBox on Android Atom PCs

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on other (unsupported) hosts like FreeBSD.
chrismac

VBox on Android Atom PCs

Post by chrismac »

Is it worth revisiting the topic of VBox on Android now that Intel x86 Atom PCs running both Windows and Android are common from Chinese suppliers (and perhaps Amazon.com) ? It seems the hardware is compatible with dual boot OS's so maybe that's the 'beginning' of allowing high spec Android tablets to emulate Windows in a VBox ? Re viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57002 ? Too big a leap, or is 2018 ripe for a leap forwards ? Of course if dual booting, then there's no need for a VBox, but running Windows on a solely Android (Atom/AMD) tablet could be viable if an Atom CPU is used - once proof of concept is available ? What's the state of art here ?
Chris
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VBox on Android Atom PCs

Post by socratis »

There are a couple of accurate answers in the thread that you linked, I'll quote my favorites:
mpack wrote:how much you'd be willing to pay?
michaln wrote:Just to state the obvious: Oracle will be interested in supporting VirtualBox on x86 tablets if and when there's a market for it. A million people wishing to run VirtualBox on a tablet and prepared to spend $0 each do not constitute a market.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
chrismac

Re: VBox on Android Atom PCs

Post by chrismac »

Do you think selling VBox for Android in the Android Store, for a typically modest price, say $8-10, constitutes a viable commercial incentive ? There's numerous Apps in that category, but my view is that being able to run Windows applications on an Atom/AMD Android tablet would be valued by the Android community. The modest cost of those tablets makes them more ubiquitous, including for schools.