LynxOS guest would no boot up correctly if network interface enabled

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on other (unsupported) hosts like FreeBSD.
Jen

LynxOS guest would no boot up correctly if network interface enabled

Post by Jen »

Hi,

I installed a version 4.2 LynxOS guest on VBox 5.0.20. The guest can boot up correctly if network interfaces are disabled. If any network interface is enabled, it won't boot up correctly. The screen goes to Guru meditation.

I attached the log file to this message. Your early response is greatly appreciated.

Sincere
Jen
Attachments
VBox_cut.log
(24.14 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: LynxOS guest would no boot up correctly if network interface enabled

Post by mpack »

I have no idea what that attachment is, but it is not a log. It appears to be a zip containing random crap. Did you load and save the log from a word processor? Don't!

With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here. Don't do anything else to it, and I don't need any other log.

Btw, LynxOS does not seem to be a supported guest, nor a fork of a supported guest. Does LynxOS run on PCs? Because if not then it won't run on a virtual PC either.
Jen

Post by Jen »

The network interfaces are actually working now in my LynxOS Guest, not crashing the boot up process. Now I have another problem which crashes the boot ups. Please see attached log.
Yes, the LynxOS is running on PC. It has run for years.
Attachments
dsc.zip
(37.16 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Really? I'm surprised that an RTOS bothers to support PC architectures, given the plethora of alternatives (e.g. DOS, Linux and Windows) users already have on that platform.

And does LynxOS support multiple cores? Because I see you have assigned 2 cores to the guest.

Anyway, the guest crash is :
VBox.log wrote: 00:00:04.540644 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
00:00:04.540645 !!
00:00:04.540646 !! Guru Meditation -2634 (VERR_IOM_MMIO_IPE_1)
00:00:04.540662 !!
00:00:04.540675 !!
00:00:04.540675 !! {mappings, <NULL>}
00:00:04.540676 !!
00:00:04.540681
Which I would guess means that the guest is accessing an I/O memory location that doesn't exist. I.e. trying to access hardware that doesn't exist in the VM. I noticed that the crash happens almost immediatly the hard disk boot begins, so I'd suspect an hdd incompatibility. Perhaps it's expecting to see a SATA drive and you haven't configured one. Is there no discussion site where you can ask questions of other LynxOS+VirtualBox users?
Jen

Post by Jen »

I went ahead and switched it to 1 CPU just to eliminate that but it still hangs.

Note that it is not likely to be a hdd issue because of two things:
1. The system boots and runs fine with no issues if networking is disabled.
2. Everything works perfectly (including networking) when this same .ova is loaded in an older Virtual box, e.g. 4.10
Last edited by mpack on 26. Sep 2017, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary quote.