USB Interface association missing

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on other (unsupported) hosts like FreeBSD.
Laurens

USB Interface association missing

Post by Laurens »

I'm having a problem with a HiFace Two DAC connected to an Ubuntu guest on VirtualBox.
The host is NAS4Free so FreeBSD.

On a bare Ubuntu I get this module correct working and reported like this in Ubuntu:

Code: Select all

[1191641.895471] usbcore: registered new interface driver [b]snd-usb-hiface[/b]
[1191749.850291] usb 1-1.1.1: new high-speed USB device number 9 using ehci-pci
On the VirtualBox host is says this:

Code: Select all

[    9.757422] usb 1-1: Audio class v2 interfaces need an interface association
[    9.757444] [b]snd-usb-audio[/b]: probe of 1-1:1.0 failed with error -22
I code found the source of this error message here: elixir.free-electrons <dot com> /linux/latest/source/sound/usb/card.c

If I compare the USB output from the bare metal server and the Ubuntu guest then I see indeed that the bare metal has 2 blocks "Interface association" while those are stripped out when connected through VirtualBox?

So the wrong driver (snd-usb-audio instead of snd-usb-hiface) is loaded because those two blocks are missing.

Screenshot: imgur <dot com> /a/prPsH
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: USB Interface association missing

Post by mpack »

USB redirection requires that USB redirection drivers are installed in the host, and since FreeBSD is not a supported host I can't see how you can possibly get VIrtualBox USB working with a FreeBSD fork as host.

I believe the FreeBSD team may have produced their own fork which can be run on FreeBSD hosts. You'd have to talk to them about that since we don't support forks here.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: USB Interface association missing

Post by michaln »

As mpack said, you won't get any support for FreeBSD hosts here.

If you can reproduce the same problem with a version of VirtualBox that is supported by Oracle and provide logs and other diagnostic information, there may be something to talk about. As it is, there's not.