FreeBSD cannot use USB since VirtualBox 5.0.26

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on other (unsupported) hosts like FreeBSD.
grahamm

FreeBSD cannot use USB since VirtualBox 5.0.26

Post by grahamm »

I've been using my Epson scanner in Windows XP under VirtualBox on FreeBSD for many years. I recently updated my source and ports to the latest and now I can't access my scanner. In fact I can't seem to attach any USB devices. I've tried creating a filter for it under USB Settings, and I've tried manually connecting it from the Devices->USB menu by clicking its checkbox. In both cases, it doesn't connect. If I try a second time, I get a message:

Failed to attach the USB device EPSON Scanner to the virtual machine WinXP.

USB device 'EPSON EPSON Scanner' with UUID {aa1eba25-05eb-4aed-8e9f-803807dd3bc4} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDeviceWrap
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {c19073dd-cc7b-431b-98b2-951fda8eab89}
Callee: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I've waited for an hour in case it was just taking a long time to connect - no joy.

This is on FreeBSD 11-Stable AMD64, and ports updated to r422267. And I built the kmod with the correct current kernel source in place. It's not a problem with permissions on the /dev/usb entries.

I reverted back to the port as of last August (5.0.26) and it's all working again.

So VirtualBox 5.1.4 and onward do not work. But 5.0.26 and before do.

I'm going to try to diagnose what the change was that broke it. Could anybody please give me some idea of what to look for and where in the VirtualBox source code to look.

Thanks for any help,
Graham
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: FreeBSD cannot use USB since VirtualBox 5.0.26

Post by Perryg »

I'm not sure we can. IIRC all *BSD ports are maintained by them and the code is slightly different than the original code from VirtualBox. You probably would have better success contacting them for this kind of question.
grahamm

Post by grahamm »

Thanks for replying.

While what you say is true, I'm not sure that it's relevant to this question. Yes, FreeBSD modifies the vbox source via a series of patches. I've looked through those and I can't see that they affect anything significant to do with the USB stuff.

I guess I'm just asking if somebody can give me a hint as to what changed in the USB area between 5.0.26 and 5.1.4.

And, yes, I'll ask the FreeBSD guys too.

Thanks,
Graham
grahamm

Post by grahamm »

Fortunately my questions on the FreeBSD mailing list prompted Hans to fix it. So, it's all working now.

Thanks for your input.

Graham