Double mouse cursor in Guest !

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on other (unsupported) hosts like FreeBSD.

Double mouse cursor in Guest !

Postby vincen » 4. Nov 2015, 16:00

Hi

I ust installed an Ubuntu 14.04 guest in phpVirtualbox 4.3.12 in Freenas 9.3. Guest additions have been installed but I have an issue with mouse ! I have always two cursors not moving at same spped and it's f*cking boring to use :( Any ideas what's wrong ?

Thanks,

Vincèn
vincen
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 6. Sep 2008, 09:48
Location: Grenoble, France
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Re: Double mouse cursor in Guest !

Postby mpack » 4. Nov 2015, 17:28

Install the Guest Additions in the guest. See the user manual chapter 4 for details. If you still assert that the GAs have already been installed then provide a VM log file: with the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
mpack
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 25459
Joined: 4. Sep 2008, 17:09
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Double mouse cursor in Guest !

Postby vincen » 4. Nov 2015, 17:30

mpack wrote:Install the Guest Additions in the guest. See the user manual chapter 4 for details. If you still assert that the GAs have already been installed then provide a VM log file: with the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip, and attach the zip here.

Sorry if I didn't mention it in my first message but for sure guest additions are installed and in fact problem is there since I installed them :(
vincen
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 6. Sep 2008, 09:48
Location: Grenoble, France
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Re: Double mouse cursor in Guest !

Postby mpack » 4. Nov 2015, 17:36

I think you should read to the end of my previous post.
mpack
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 25459
Joined: 4. Sep 2008, 17:09
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Double mouse cursor in Guest !

Postby vincen » 4. Nov 2015, 17:52

mpack wrote:I think you should read to the end of my previous post.

oups here is log file of a complete session (start the VM with OS booting, then shutdown of the guest os).
vbox.log.zip
vbox.log
(17.92 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
vincen
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 6. Sep 2008, 09:48
Location: Grenoble, France
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Re: Double mouse cursor in Guest !

Postby mpack » 4. Nov 2015, 18:17

As I suspected, I see that the GAs ISO has been mounted in the VM, but I see no evidence that you ever ran the installer. Please read the chapter in the user manual which describes rather nicely how to install the GAs in a Linux guest.
mpack
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 25459
Joined: 4. Sep 2008, 17:09
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Double mouse cursor in Guest !

Postby vincen » 4. Nov 2015, 18:29

mpack wrote:As I suspected, I see that the GAs ISO has been mounted in the VM, but I see no evidence that you ever ran the installer. Please read the chapter in the user manual which describes rather nicely how to install the GAs in a Linux guest.

confused here as I installed them by the package manager of Ubuntu by adding the correct repo (I tried first with the iso but it didn't work) ! And since I installed them I have normal video resolution and no more low resolution so they are installed no ??
vincen
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 6. Sep 2008, 09:48
Location: Grenoble, France
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Re: Double mouse cursor in Guest !

Postby mpack » 4. Nov 2015, 18:36

I don't see the GAs announce themselves in the log, which means they have not been installed.
mpack
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 25459
Joined: 4. Sep 2008, 17:09
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Double mouse cursor in Guest !

Postby vincen » 5. Nov 2015, 08:15

mpack wrote:I don't see the GAs announce themselves in the log, which means they have not been installed.

Thanks for help but then I'm stuck as install from the ISO doesn't work on my stock Ubuntu 14.04 64 bits. It fails installing kernel modules unless I have installed kernel packages and fails for graphic driver (Unknown X system). I tried different things I found on Internet but without much success :(
vincen
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 6. Sep 2008, 09:48
Location: Grenoble, France
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Re: Double mouse cursor in Guest !

Postby mpack » 5. Nov 2015, 11:15

If you want help then I'll need a more precise description of the errors than that.

And did you did the read the user manual sections on the subject that I referred you to?
mpack
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 25459
Joined: 4. Sep 2008, 17:09
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Double mouse cursor in Guest !

Postby Perryg » 5. Nov 2015, 14:59

Needed packages as follows:
    dkms build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
This error "fails for graphic driver (Unknown X system)" means you need to use a newer version of VirtualBox ( one that supports the version of X you have ).
Perryg
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34265
Joined: 6. Sep 2008, 22:55
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Double mouse cursor in Guest !

Postby vincen » 5. Nov 2015, 17:16

mpack wrote:If you want help then I'll need a more precise description of the errors than that.
And did you did the read the user manual sections on the subject that I referred you to?

I have read the manual but it didn't help me more: I'll try again and post you errors messages for investigation !

Perryg wrote:Needed packages as follows:
    dkms build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
This error "fails for graphic driver (Unknown X system)" means you need to use a newer version of VirtualBox ( one that supports the version of X you have ).

I can't upgrade virtualbox as it's phpVirtualBox in a jail in FreeNAS (4.3.12 OSE). Perhaps I should install an older version of Ubuntu. Which version would fit well with that version of Virtualbox ?

Thanks
vincen
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 6. Sep 2008, 09:48
Location: Grenoble, France
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Re: Double mouse cursor in Guest !

Postby vincen » 9. Nov 2015, 09:27

No ideas what I can do ? Install old version of Ubuntu so Guest additions are able to install correctly ?
vincen
 
Posts: 19
Joined: 6. Sep 2008, 09:48
Location: Grenoble, France
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10


Return to VirtualBox on Other Hosts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest