VitualBox on TNAS TOS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on other (unsupported) hosts like FreeBSD.
linuxwarrior

VitualBox on TNAS TOS

Post by linuxwarrior »

Checking for update or roadmap.
TerraMaster NAS device running TOS currently has Virtual Box 6.1.4 (136177)
The console still requires Adobe Flash plugin. Is this to be updated soon? Or is there a current alternative for the build?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VitualBox on TNAS TOS

Post by mpack »

There is no Adobe Flush plugin provided by VirtualBox.

Anything supplied to you by third parties should be queried with them.
linuxwarrior

Post by linuxwarrior »

The Adobe Flash Plugin is a browser plugin and is at end of life and is no longer secure or available. but the code that renders the console still requires it.

See attached
Attachments
console render
console render
VB-AFP.PNG (23.68 KiB) Viewed 21368 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm well aware of what the Abobe Flash Plugin is, what I don't quite understand is why you are talking about it here, since VirtualBox has no hand in delivering it or using it. I have no idea what that image purports to show, as far as I'm aware it does not show a standard VirtualBox dialog.

AFAIK VirtualBox uses Qt, nothing else, to render GUI elements. As a cross platform Qt app it should be causing this message on all platforms.

There would certainly be no harm in upgrading your VirtualBox version to something recent (we are currently on 6.1.18, which is at least a year more recent).
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Are you perhaps using phpVirtualBox? That is the only context in which I see this text being mentioned.

If so then please understand that phpVirtualBox is a unofficial third party tool, not really something we can answer questions about here.
linuxwarrior

Post by linuxwarrior »

Thanks for the replies. It is quit possible it is a phpVirtualBox build for TOS but as all apps are containerized in an icon on this OS i have only the about info to go on. I asked here as a starting point since it is embedded code requiring the plugin to render the console. So if it is not part of the original build or sdk, I can now put this back to TerraMaster to take up with their TOS app developers.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Looking at the screenshot, the layout is similar to the VirtualBox Manager 5.2.x. VirtualBox Manager 6.0.x and 6.1.x have a different screen layout. And the leading VM entry with the Hosting state is typical for phpVirtualBox screenshots as can be found via Google.