Unable to switch to floppy drive in DOS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on other (unsupported) hosts like FreeBSD.
001BigBang

Unable to switch to floppy drive in DOS

Post by 001BigBang »

I am unable to switch to the floppy drive on any of the virtual machines I have created.

The cd a: command is accepted when a floppy disk is in the drive. But after that, the machine will switch back to c: drive automatically. So I can't get into the directory of the floppy disk drive.

The DOS Console look like this after cd a: command:

Code: Select all

C:\>cd a:

A:\
C:\>
//A gif should actually be inserted here that shows the problem. But I'm not allowed to link it. You can see here (remove space before com): s9.gifyu. com/images/20221224_051515.gif

It also makes no difference which floppy image is inserted. If no image is inserted, the default error message Abort / Retry / Fail appears.

I have installed and try all DOS versions from 1.25 to 6.22 from winworld in different created VMs of VirtualBox. English DOS versions and German DOS versions. Everywhere the same error. So I assume it probably has something to do with my VirtualBox configuration.

The example here is DOS 6.22 [german]. This version is the easiest for me because my keyboard fits here. It's also no problem for me to switch to English if this is a requirement or more useful for your help.

Virtual Box Version: 7.0.4 r154605 (Qt5.15.2)
My operating system: Windows 11 Pro (64-bit)

My machine:
  • OS = DOS 6.22 (german)
  • Floppy drive
  • CD-ROM drive
  • VHD hard drive
I wanted to include the log file in the post here, but I don't know how. Would do it again if needed.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Unable to switch to floppy drive in DOS

Post by Martin »

Look up a bit more about DOS command syntax.
This is not a Virtualbox problem. You are not using the correct command. ;)
001BigBang

Post by 001BigBang »

Oh my gosh. That is very embarrassing. I'm sorry!

Thanks!

To complete the case: Correct command is just a: without cd

[solved]
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

DOS was such a long time ago that it isn't easy to remember everything.
That's why I wanted to first point you in the right direction before just giving the solution directly. ;)