VirtualBox on Windows Tablet

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mirparx

VirtualBox on Windows Tablet

Post by mirparx »

Hello,

I've received my Chuwi Windows/Android tablet, and I've managed to install virtualbox without any issue.
The problem is that, being an ARM architecture, I'm not able to install any Linux / freeBSD/ other OS

As the tablet also have a keyboard/mousepad/USB ports, I would really like to run a linux guest on it.

Is there anyone having experience on this kind of activity?

Thanks
Mirko
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Re: VirtualBox on Windows Tablet

Post by towo2099 »

VBox is x86 arch only, so no chance with VBox!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Which begs the question: how did you manage to install VirtualBox on an ARM processor?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The exact model of the tablet would be useful. The reviews I've seen of Chuwi Win10/Android hybrid tablets say they have an Intel processor (Cherry Trail X5-Z8300), not ARM.
mirparx

Post by mirparx »

you are right, my fault. It is an x5-z8350

Don't know why I had in mind it was an ARM....

Sorry :(
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, being Intel based there should be no problem creating a Linux VM, though performance may be another matter: historically "Atom" processors have been designed for lowest power consumption, not for pro level performance. https://ark.intel.com/products/93361/In ... o-1_92-GHz.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Both the Intel Ark pages linked to for the Cherry Trail X5 processors say they have a 2GB maximum memory limit. Given that the host OS is going to be some version of Windows 10 then it isn't going to leave much free RAM for a guest OS.

I don't think I would even be attempting this!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I guess that some lightweight 32bit Linux might be possible. Trouble is that we've got no info on why the Linux install failed, apart from a speculative explanation which we now know is not correct.
DzonLejn
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by DzonLejn »

Hi,

didn't want to start a new topic as my first post so I might ask here:

I just got almost for free a Toshiba Enocre 8 (no longer available on toshiba website) https://productz.com/en/toshiba-encore-8-tablet
I think it's a bit more powerful than the first one mentioned and should run VB (?). I guess Ram is the problem but for that I'll try Xubuntu instead of W$

Thank you for your help

cheers
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The tablet you mention seems similar to the one the OP had: Atom processor, lowish clock speed, 2GB RAM (not expandable), I assume that disk size and performance will be problematic as well.

The host OS as shipped was Windows 8.1, I imagine that takes a big bite out of that 2GB RAM. Ditto if it was upgraded to Win10.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

This doesn't belong to the "Other Hosts" area, it is a "Windows Hosts" issue... Moving.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DzonLejn
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by DzonLejn »

mpack wrote:The tablet you mention seems similar to the one the OP had: Atom processor, lowish clock speed, 2GB RAM (not expandable), I assume that disk size and performance will be problematic as well.

The host OS as shipped was Windows 8.1, I imagine that takes a big bite out of that 2GB RAM. Ditto if it was upgraded to Win10.
Thanks! But what if I switch from Win to something like Xubuntu?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I've never used XUbuntu, so I couldn't say.