vmdk issues with VB 6.1.12

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
JxT2020

vmdk issues with VB 6.1.12

Post by JxT2020 »

Hello Everyone,
Been using VB on windows for some years and been great up to ver 5.2.28 which vb always detected changes in my vmdk file and release&remove the old one in order for the newly created to be effective, However; since upgrading to 6.1.12 3 days ago... things are so different and one of them is I don't know what to do to access my vmdk file as VB constantly opens up a Hard Disk Selector folder which contains none of my vmdk files, I must have done something wrong during the straight forward installation, what must I do to rectify it?
Deeply appreciate your help & thanks in advance.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: vmdk issues with VB 6.1.12

Post by multiOS »

Long time since I used a 5.2. version but many interface changes were introduced in the transition from 5 to 6, so have a look at Section 5.3 of the the VirtualBox User Manual for the version you've installed (The Virtual Media Manager) to see if you can spot the difference. If you launch 'Virtual Media Manager...' from the VirtualBox Menu you should be able to see whether your 'vmdk' file is known and accessible; and it will show the current file path.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

In addition to MultiOS's thoughts, please describe more about what you're seeing, perhaps some screenshots (posted with the forum's Upload Attachment tab not on a 3rd-party site, please).
JxT2020 wrote:up to ver 5.2.28 which vb always detected changes in my vmdk file and release&remove the old one in order for the newly created to be effective,
I have never seen Virtualbox automatically detect a change in a disk file then automatically release a disk file. How exactly did this happen?
JxT2020 wrote:VB constantly opens up a Hard Disk Selector folder which contains none of my vmdk files
Please explain the steps you take to get to this place, and a screenshot of what this "Hard Disk Selector" is.

Finally, please explain exactly what you're trying to do, a nice short statement of your overall intent. Something like this:

"I'm trying to clone my disk file so I can compact it and use the compacted disk file."
JxT2020

Post by JxT2020 »

multiOS wrote:Long time since I used a 5.2. version but many interface changes were introduced in the transition from 5 to 6, so have a look at Section 5.3 of the the VirtualBox User Manual for the version you've installed (The Virtual Media Manager) to see if you can spot the difference. If you launch 'Virtual Media Manager...' from the VirtualBox Menu you should be able to see whether your 'vmdk' file is known and accessible; and it will show the current file path.
Thanks for pointing it out & definitely missed it completely, will reinstall the latest of ver 6, thanks so much.
scottgus1 wrote:I have never seen Virtualbox automatically detect a change in a disk file then automatically release a disk file. How exactly did this happen?
Sorry it was poorly explained, below is the screenshot I come up with whenever there is a new vmdk file created out of the disk file, then I click on Check which takes me to the options of Release & Remove (VB doesn't do it automatically), once released&removed I choose Add New Disk (Storage Setting) then VB goes to the directory where the newly created vmdk file is. hope it's clearer now... thanks so much again to both of you.
Attachments
VB_NewVMDK.png
VB_NewVMDK.png (33.11 KiB) Viewed 18046 times
multiOS
Volunteer
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Sorry if this is already obvious to you, but using the the 'new' Virtual Media Manager feature as a base, my understanding is:

- 'Add' puts the existence of a 'new/unlisted' Virtual Disk in to VirtualBox's 'knowledge bank' and then lists it as available, but doesn't attach/mount it to any virtual machine.
- 'Release' unmounts a Virtual Disk, but retain's VirtualBox's knowledge of its existence - It should still be listed as available unless the physical file has been moved/deleted, when it will will still be listed, but with a warning that it is not accessible.
- 'Remove' entirely delists/removes the Virtual Disk from the VirtualBox knowledge base, but doesn't delete the actual disk file (so can still be added back).
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

multiOS wrote:- 'Remove' entirely delists/removes the Virtual Disk from the VirtualBox knowledge base, but doesn't delete the actual disk file (so can still be added back).
Using 'Remove' provides you with a second dialog where you can select between 'Keep' and 'Delete' the actual disk file.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

JxT2020 wrote:whenever there is a new vmdk file created out of the disk file, then I click on Check which takes me to the options of Release & Remove (VB doesn't do it automatically), once released&removed I choose Add New Disk (Storage Setting) then VB goes to the directory where the newly created vmdk file is. hope it's clearer now... thanks so much again to both of you.
OK, I see where you are now. Is there anything else you need, or are you good now?
JxT2020

Post by JxT2020 »

scottgus1 wrote:OK, I see where you are now. Is there anything else you need, or are you good now?
Yes everything is back to normal now, thanks to you & multiOS

Cheers
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.