SCO Openserver 6 issue

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
jgt

SCO Openserver 6 issue

Post by jgt »

I have a client running an application compiled using MF cobol for Unix V3.2 from about 1997, running on a bare metal install of SCO Openserver 6.0.0

As the current hardware is now 8 years old, I have attempted to move the application to a Virtualbox 6.1 on LinuxMint 19.3.

All is well, except for one not so minor detail, the F10 and up and down arrow keys do not work, all the other F keys work, as well as the left and right arrow keys.

I do not have the source code. The application does not appear to use a special termcap or terminfo, nor does it use an adisctrl file.

Any suggestions?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: SCO Openserver 6 issue

Post by mpack »

This would normally be a matter of selecting the correct keyboard mapping inside the guest OS, i.e. that maps switch (scan) codes to the keytops and functions on your keyboard.

We know that the VirtualBox keyboard emulations sends the correct switch codes, otherwise all guest OS's would have your problem.
jgt

Post by jgt »

I have given up. The problem occurs at the console, also with telnet, and is even worse with ssh.
I have installed another application written in MF cobol for which I have the source code, but a later version (4.1) that uses a program called adis to manage the input and output of data to and from the screen section of a cobol program, such as whether a field is right or left justified, has leading zeros, etc. This newer application does not exhibit the problem.
My assumption now is that this is a timing issue and that the overhead of the virtual system causes the application to misinterpret function keys.
jgt

Post by jgt »

I re-installed the system from scratch using VMWare EXSI7, and the problem went away.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, thanks for letting us know. Sorry Virtualbox didn't work out for your project.