ArcaOS 5.0.4.06 UEFI Guest won't boot correctly

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
haruna

ArcaOS 5.0.4.06 UEFI Guest won't boot correctly

Post by haruna »

ArcaOS(a variant of IBM OS/2) beta 5.0.4.06 add support to boot from pure UEFI mode(without CSM), but VirtualBox refuses to load bootx64.efi when I create an OS/2 virtual machine and switch the UEFI checkbox on, and stalls on booting to the desktop if I create a generic virtual machine.
It has been verified by many OS/2 community members and developers that this build can boot on many physical machines. I'm sorry that I can't provide a demo disc image because it's against the rule, but it should be okay for me to provide more diagnose information about it.
LewisR
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: OS/2, Windows, Linux, Android, NetWare

Re: ArcaOS 5.0.4.06 UEFI Guest won't boot correctly

Post by LewisR »

Please direct all questions of this nature to the ArcaOS testers' mailing list, and not to any public forums.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

LewisR wrote:and not to any public forums.
LewisR, do you happen to know if this question is violating a non-disclosure agreement, a EULA, or some other such legal document that restricts discussion of ArcaOS on a non-ArcaOS forum?
LewisR
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: OS/2, Windows, Linux, Android, NetWare

Post by LewisR »

As the Managing Member of Arca Noae, LLC, the publisher of ArcaOS, I can state officially that beta testers are required to abide by our policy regarding non-disclosure of features under test in public forums. Also, as our betas are closed, and as I do not recognize the username of the poster here, I am wondering how a beta may have found its way outside the test team.

UEFI and GPT are features under active development, but not ready for public discussion (much is changing very rapidly). A casual user might be misled to believe how the feature is supposed to work (or not), take that to another public forum, discuss, and so forth. This is why our betas are closed, and we require strict adherence to our confidentiality policy as a condition of team membership.

Released versions of ArcaOS are certainly topics to be freely discussed. We actively encourage all of our users to share their experiences wherever possible. We have not as yet released a version of ArcaOS with UEFI boot capability (or GPT volume support), which is why this thread caught my eye.
Lewis
--------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE, CLP, CWTS
Arca Noae, LLC
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Very good! Sounds like an NDA/EULA to me.

haruna, if you come back to see what's ben done on this from six months ago, we'll have to lock this post, and you apparently can get help from the ArcaOS folks.