Sound Problem in Genymotion w/ VBox 6.1.4

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Mr.Clipboard

Sound Problem in Genymotion w/ VBox 6.1.4

Post by Mr.Clipboard »

So, I'm pretty new to Virtualbox, but I am trying to play an app game using the latest version of Genymotion which is using Virtualbox to emulate a Google Pixel 3 phone. The game is running alright, but the sound isn't. When I first start up the game, there is no sound, so I have to leave the game and re-enter it in order to hear it. In Virtualbox, I have the sound set to "ICH-AC97" because the other settings like "Soundblaster 16" and "Intel HD Audio" don't work at all. I am using an HP 260 Slim Desktop with 4 Cores and 8GB memory installed. My sound driver is Realtek HD Audio. I have the memory set to 4 GB in Virtualbox and 3 cores set to use in Genymotion. I updated the AC97 drivers but I can't find them in device manager - there is no option for a multimedia sound controller, just Realtek HD sound driver and Realtek display audio.

I would like to use Intel HD audio instead of AC'97, but can someone please suggest to me how this might be done? Do I have to run some kind of Linux sound?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Sound Problem in Genymotion w/ VBox 6.1.4

Post by mpack »

1. Genymotion is not using a standard build of VirtualBox. You need to approach Genymotion for support of their product.

2. It is pointless to select other audio emulations (SB16, Intel HD) unless you know that Android has drivers for those chipsets. Does it?

3. The hardware and drivers of your host has no bearing on what hardware is simulated in the virtual machine. The host OS determines what hardware and drivers it needs to use for its own hardware, so I'm not even sure what you mean when you say you "updated the AC'97 drivers by can't find them in Device Manager"... e.g. I wasn't aware that Android had a "device manager".
Mr.Clipboard

Post by Mr.Clipboard »

mpack wrote:3. The hardware and drivers of your host has no bearing on what hardware is simulated in the virtual machine. The host OS determines what hardware and drivers it needs to use for its own hardware, so I'm not even sure what you mean when you say you "updated the AC'97 drivers by can't find them in Device Manager"... e.g. I wasn't aware that Android had a "device manager".
Well, after reading a lot of websites, I've come to the conclusion that the "ICH-AC97" controller in Vbox uses Realtek AC'97 drivers, and I saw some sites describing that these are listed as "Multimedia Sound Controllers" in my devices on Windows 10 (Not my virtual device Pixel 3). However, it could be a Dell thing. My PC is HP so that's probably why its not showing up there.

But yeah, as far as I know, an Android probably wouldn't be able to install any other kind of PC driver. Or would it?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

As I mentioned already, the hardware of your host does not control the simulation seen by the guest.

Your host does not have AC'97 audio hardware, at least not unless it was made in 1997. So installing drivers for AC'97 on your host would be bizarre.

You can configure the VM so that the guest OS sees a simulated AC'97 audio chipset. It doesn't matter what the host actually has, since the guest is seeing a simulation, not real hardware. That's why it's called "virtual".

If you let the Android guest see am AC'97 audio chip then the guest can only use that simulated hardware if it has actual AC'97 drivers. That means drivers for Android verson <whatever>, not drivers for some other PC that just happens to be running the simulation.

I hope I've been clearer this time.
jakke

Post by jakke »

Similar problem here. The sound works and halfway through a movie or something, sound stops.
I have to shut down the device and restart to make it work again. This is crap.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

jakke wrote:This is crap.
And it won't get better if you continue to provide zero diagnostic information. Check the forums, notice what others provide.