Accessing Guest VM from VPN connected remote PC

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Arul123

Accessing Guest VM from VPN connected remote PC

Post by Arul123 »

Hi Guys,

I am using Windows 10 Host, Ubuntu 18.4 guest VM under VirtualBox 6.0 version.

My team members and myself connected to office VPN network, working Remotely, both are using Ubuntu Virtual Box guest.

My team member is trying to access my Ubuntu VM and not able to access using both of Host IP address/VM IP address. Please let me know what is possible and what is not in below cases.

1) Can we access VM guest outside of my Host/LAN, connected over INTRANET, for OFFICIAL purpose. If yes, how do we configure a IP to Guest VM and expose it to outside access, probably exposing a service to outside world. Configuration needed for my team member who is connected to internet/intranet can access my Guest VM's service.

2) Can we access VM guest outside of my Host/LAN, connected over INTERNET, for PERSONAL learning. If yes, how do we configure a IP to Guest VM and expose it to outside access, probably exposing a service to outside world. Configuration needed for my team member who is connected to internet/intranet can access my Guest VM's service.

Can someone shed light on in this connection issue.

Thanks a lot!
Arul
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Accessing Guest VM from VPN connected remote PC

Post by mpack »

You want to dial in to a VM over the Internet from a remote location, using a VPN connection.

VPN connections are point to point, the whole point is that third parties can't tap in, so for this to work at all the VM either needs to have its own VPN connection and bridged networking, or it has to be using NAT with port forwarding for some port that isn't used by the host (i.e. don't forward port 80).

Assuming NAT, the actual mechanics of determining the IP address of the host PC from a remote location has to be left to you.