Need for full DOS support when emulating Win9x OS's like 95/98/ME

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Ned33

Need for full DOS support when emulating Win9x OS's like 95/98/ME

Post by Ned33 »

DOS does not work correctly currently under Virtualbox. It's kind of insane since it boots windows 98 and win98 is theoretically supposed to be running atop of dos.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Need for full DOS support when emulating Win9x OS's like 95/98/ME

Post by socratis »

Could you specify what's the specific problem that you're facing? Generic statements like "full DOS support" aren't that helpful without any details...

Moving to "Other Guests" from"Suggestions".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ned33

Post by Ned33 »

DOS mode simply doesn't boot it simple hangs when attempting to restart in msdos mode. So its hard to report when the system just freezes when it tries to restart in msdos mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLviA4kQCVY
Last edited by socratis on 12. Feb 2020, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Just to add to the confusion, this now seems to be a cross post of viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96818&p=469953.

The confusing part is that the OP mentions DOS before mentioning Windows, when in fact he appears now to be referring to the "MS-DOS mode" feature inside Windows 9x, or else the "Restart in MS-DOS mode" feature which even most people of sufficient age will barely remember was a shutdown option 25 years ago.

p.s. I just tested the "Restart in MS-DOS mode" shutdown option in my own Win98SE VM, running under VirtualBox 6.1.2, and though it was slow to work (about 8 seconds perhaps), it did work. Not surprising really that it's slow, since it's switching to a legacy virtual 16bit mode from inside a 32bit VM running on a 64bit host. More amazing that it works at all really.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

My Win98SE reboots fine as well..
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.