DOS Guest & Win 10 Host: File Manager does not work

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Vidiot

DOS Guest & Win 10 Host: File Manager does not work

Post by Vidiot »

Hi all,

I've tinkered with DOS-Box before but this is my first time using Oracle. My host machine is Windows 10 and Oracle is the latest (6.1 I think). I've downloaded and installed a prefab Oracle image for DOS 6.22 & Win 3.11. It works in every respect except for one. When I try to use the built in file manager, it shows my host file system on the left but wont access the guest file system. The right side ramains empty. I have checked that the extensions feature has been "installed" although something may have gone wrong. Because I can not find any method of transferring files that works.
I have tried creating a blank floppy image but I can not find any way to edit it.
I've tried creating an image file with other software but that was not readable by Oracle.
I've tried setting up a shared folder but how do you use that in dos?
I've tried using the common clipboard feature to copy and paste between win 3.11 and win 10, no luck

When in the file manager, it shows red blanks for a guest userid and password, but what userid & password is there for DOS?

Thanks in advance for any help!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: DOS Guest & Win 10 Host: File Manager does not work

Post by mpack »

Vidiot wrote:I've downloaded and installed a prefab Oracle image for DOS 6.22 & Win 3.11. It works in every respect except for one. When I try to use the built in file manager, it shows my host file system on the left but wont access the guest file system.
You didn't get that "prefab image" from any official place, so that there is a problem.

I don't think you get what a VM is. A VM is a second PC, it just happens to share hardware with a first PC. You can't use the file manager on a PC to view the files on another PC, at least not unless you set up a shared folder, and then you'd have the problem that network protocols are about a zillion years obsolete in WfW and don't exist at all in DOS.

What exactly are you trying to achieve? If you just want to get files into a DOS era VM, create an ISO image or use the "ad hoc ISO" feature.
Vidiot

Post by Vidiot »

Are you not aware that there is a file manager built in the the oracle vm software specifically for transferring files between the host and guest file systems? That's what I'm talking about. That is what is not working. I have also tried to create an ad-hoc iso but I can't seem to move any files on to it. It will let me create floppy disk img files but will not let me transfer files onto them.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ah, I didn't realize that was the feature you were referring to (it's not something I have much use for).

Anyway, that's obviously not going to work, since it relies on Guest Additions being installed in the guest - and which are not available for DOS or any DOS based version of Windows. See User Manual sections 4.2.1 and 4.8.
Vidiot wrote:I have also tried to create an ad-hoc iso but I can't seem to move any files on to it.
"Move files onto it", as in "I expect to be able to add files dynamically"? I wouldn't have the same expectation. CD disks of the era were not expected to change contents without warning. I would expect that all the files in a VISO folder have to be present when the guest boots. You can however change disks in mid session. It's a while since I tested the runtime ad-hoc iso feature, so I can't remember if there's a disk change function you can trigger to force the guest to re-read the disk.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

If you really need to share the host's file system, use DOSBox.