Bootable Microsoft Adventure for PC

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Bufffan

Bootable Microsoft Adventure for PC

Post by Bufffan »

I have a working bootable VM of the IBM PC version of Microsoft Adventure. But unfortunately it boots in ugly 40 column mode and is difficult to read. I've tried all kinds of settings tweaks but can't seem to force an 80 column setup. IIRC this was initially set on DIP switches on the PC motherboard. This is a self-contained image (I think in Assembler or something?) so I can't do a simple MODE command from a DOS prompt. Looking for any tips if anyone has this setup and is working.
Cheers, Bufffan
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Bootable Microsoft Adventure for PC

Post by mpack »

Bufffan wrote:I have a working bootable VM of the IBM PC version of Microsoft Adventure. But unfortunately it boots in ugly 40 column mode and is difficult to read.
I'm not sure that VirtualBox even has a 40 column text mode. If the guest app is selecting a graphics mode and displaying its own font then that's down to the app, not to VirtualBox.

In fact it's generally true that VirtualBox is a hardware simulator. It no more controls the appearance of what's put on a display than your actual display does.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

p.s. No, the display mode was not set with DIP switches, it was set by a BIOS mode call. But once you flip into that mode it's up to the app to paint text. DOS is a text mode OS, not a graphical mode OS, so I wouldn't necessarily expect it to output anything useful in a graphics mode.

http://minuszerodegrees.net/video/bios_video_modes.htm

I think VirtualBox emulates a (S)VGA adapter only, so I'd ignore the columns for CGA, MGA etc.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Bufffan wrote:I have a working bootable VM of the IBM PC version of Microsoft Adventure. But unfortunately it boots in ugly 40 column mode and is difficult to read.
The guest software sets the mode. Are you sure Adventure can use anything else? Or is that something that someone else would be able to try? From the description it's not clear if this is a problem or behaving as designed (almost 40 years ago).