Android-x86 9.0-rc2 doesn't work under VirtualBox

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Android-x86 9.0-rc2 doesn't work under VirtualBox

Post by birdie »

Sadly I couldn't find a combination of options to make Android-x86 9.0-rc2 work under VirtualBox 6.1.2. I've tried various video adapters, enabled/disabled 3D acceleration - nothing helps. If anyone has had success with it, please share your findings.

Looks like Android-x86 9.0 requires some sort of proper OpenGL ES (?) acceleration which is not available in VirtualBox.

I'm not sure if filing a bug report is worth it.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Android-x86 9.0-rc2 doesn't work under VirtualBox

Post by mpack »

birdie wrote: I'm not sure if filing a bug report is worth it.
I'm sure it's not. A bug is a claimed feature that fails to work as claimed. VirtualBox does not claim support for Android.

In particular, there are no Guest Additions for Android, so fiddling with graphics controllers and 3D acceleration is guaranteed to NOT help even a bit. And pointing out the bleeding obvious as a "bug" will not endear you to the devs!
birdie

Post by birdie »

Earlier releases worked mostly fine though, so this is sorta regression. :D
Last edited by socratis on 10. Feb 2020, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Well, you'd have to pin down "earlier releases" and "worked fine" though. AFAIK all of the virtual hardware that was available to VMs in earlier releases is still available now, and there have never been GAs for Android so 3D acceleration certainly never worked. The default template associated with (let's say) a Linux VM may no longer be suitable for a guest OS that doesn't have its own template, but that's no problem if you just clone a previous Android then wipe it, or if you know how to fully configure the VM.

I recently installed an Android-x86 8.1 VM, and had no problems with it - it even installs its own WiFi emulation that works over Ethernet. Of course I ignored the online blogs that instructed me (among other things) to enable 3D acceleration.
birdie

Post by birdie »

Can you at least confirm my findings? :wink:
Last edited by socratis on 10. Feb 2020, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Ok, I just downloaded from the URL you gave, and installed as far as possible using the same procedure I used last time.

I can't get it to connect to a network at work (extra security so only NAT available to VMs). I'll try again later at home where I can try "bridged", which is what I used last time. It's possible that this ISO doesn't contain the WiFi emulator.
birdie

Post by birdie »

I was trying to run it without installing.

With your settings I get this semi-empty screen at which I can't do anything at all.

Looks like something is constantly crashing. Sometimes I can see the Connect to WiFi screen which is again unusable.

Edit: after installing I appear to have the same issue: the surfaceflinger process keeps crashing.
Attachments
VirtualBox_Android 9.png
VirtualBox_Android 9.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 10287 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Yes, that's the same result I get, which is why I think it doesn't install the virtual WiFi module that v8 had. I.e. I think the installer assumes that WiFi hardware will be available and crashes when it isn't.
birdie

Post by birdie »

Between these crashes I see that the VM has managed to obtain an IP address/default GW/DNS via DHCP and it still doesn't proceed further.

I'm not sure what it's down to - I still suspect VBox lacks proper 3D acceleration which could have become mandatory since Android 9.

WiFi issues alone are unlikely to cause such severe crashes since Android works without an internet connection just fine.
Last edited by socratis on 10. Feb 2020, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

birdie wrote: I'm not sure what it's down to - I still suspect VBox lacks proper 3D acceleration which could have become mandatory since Android 9.
There's no such thing as "proper 3D acceleration". You can't use or even detect 3D acceleration without a manufacturer specific driver (*), and which manufacturer do you suspect it favors? On an x86 platform? That doesn't really make sense to me. Plus there's the fact that it crashes when trying to establish a network connection, not when trying something graphical.

(*) In a VirtualBox VM the hardware is VBoxSVGA or VMSVGA, and the drivers are included in the GAs, if available for a particular OS. Not Android.