Help with using ad hoc ISO feature to move files to Guest OS

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Jeff51

Help with using ad hoc ISO feature to move files to Guest OS

Post by Jeff51 »

In response to another question about moving files into a DOS Guest, mpac suggested:

Have a look at the "ad hoc ISO" feature in the VM "Devices" menu. This allows you to designate one or more host folders or files as the content of a virtual CD. That will be the easiest way to get content into a DOS VM.

I’m such a noob. I can’t seem to find this. Is this the "Devices" under the "Storage" settings? If so I can’t seem to locate the ad hoc ISO option.

I’ve been moving stuff into DOS Guests by making img or ISO files and letting the IDE or floppy controller point to the file. Being able to point to a folder or file and copy stuff directly would be nifty instead of going through the extra steps. I assume after setting a folder using this option, that the folder would be visible under drive letter?

Thanks for your help,
All the Best,
Jeff
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Help with using ad hoc ISO feature to move files to Guest OS

Post by socratis »

Jeff51 wrote:I’m such a noob. I can’t seem to find this.
  1. With the "Details" pane shown, click on the Optical Drive and select "Create ad hoc VISO..."
  2. With the VM running, click on the Optical Drive icon in the status bar and select "Create ad hoc VISO..."
  3. With the VM running, click on the Host's menu "Devices" » "Optical Drives" » "Create ad hoc VISO..."
Jeff51 wrote:I assume after setting a folder using this option, that the folder would be visible under drive letter?
It will show up as mounted in your Guest's optical drive, just like if you had chosen an ISO, or the Guest Additions (another ISO).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.