Could VM use raw device direcly?

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
davyjdh

Could VM use raw device direcly?

Post by davyjdh »

Hi all:

I need to run some test under DOS, and I want to automate this work by run a DOS VM, by which I can login in remotely and control the flow by command or script.

in physical mode, test tool installs some driver, finds the device (PCIE), and runs some test, so in virtual mode, I'm not sure whether these work can be done meanwhile taking the same effect on the device as in physical.

In my option, this need two dependence:
  1. vm could install host's driver to host's OS area.
  2. vm could access the device without accessing VM related part, just like without VM.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Could VM use raw device direcly?

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry, but I can't make heads or tails from your post, it doesn't compute with what I know, I need some explanations...
davyjdh wrote:run a DOS VM, by which I can login in remotely
Login remotely on a DOS VM? How exactly would you do that in a DOS computer?
davyjdh wrote:and control the flow by command or script.
What flow? Where would the script run? A batch in DOS? Something remotely?
davyjdh wrote:in physical mode, test tool installs some driver, finds the device (PCIE)
What test tool? And what PCIe device are you referring to? DOS supporting PCIe devices? I could be wrong, but DOS wasn't that popular in 2003 when PCIe devices were "invented". Certainly not in real life, I don't think so...
davyjdh wrote:so in virtual mode, I'm not sure whether these work can be done meanwhile taking the same effect on the device as in physical.
Not sure what you mean by that...

Also, I'm not going to quote your two options, because I can't figure out what your plan is, or what exactly you're referring to. Please explain in full detail...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.