Androidx86 VirtualBox VM vs Emulators

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
AndreLuisOS

Androidx86 VirtualBox VM vs Emulators

Post by AndreLuisOS »

Good afternoon!

I've noticed the performance difference between an Androidx86 vm created straight from VirtualBox and emulators (Genymotion or Nox, for example) is HUGE.

I'd like to understand why and what would I need to reach such performance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Androidx86 VirtualBox VM vs Emulators

Post by socratis »

Huge in what sense? And why are we comparing apples to oranges?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
AndreLuisOS

Post by AndreLuisOS »

socratis wrote:Huge in what sense? And why are we comparing apples to oranges?
I'm sorry if I sounded rude by any way. It was not my intention.

It looks like I can't get hw acceleration to work with the vm.

I'm not an expert, so I don't know if comparing both is actually fair. However, those emulators still uses the VirtualBox vm. That's why I asked. How can they achieve such smoothness?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

AndreLuisOS wrote:I'm sorry if I sounded rude by any way. It was not my intention.
You weren't rude at all, why would you think that? Vague on the other hand, yes... ;)

That's why I asked what "Huge difference in performance" means.
AndreLuisOS wrote:It looks like I can't get hw acceleration to work with the vm.
Which hardware acceleration are you referring to?
AndreLuisOS wrote:How can they achieve such smoothness?
First of all, Android Guests are not officially supported. However we could take a look, no promises...

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe or recreate the problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
AndreLuisOS

Post by AndreLuisOS »

3D acceleration.

Thanks for taking a look at it.
Attachments
VBox.log
(122.24 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Possibly they achieve it by having custom drivers in Android. And/or a custom build of VirtualBox.

I have a copy of BlueStacks on my PC, which allows me to run certain device control apps that for some reason nobody builds PC apps for any more. It seems to be based on a custom build of VirtualBox 2.x. Whether they did the custom build themselves I don't know: it's possible that they're a paying customer.
AndreLuisOS

Post by AndreLuisOS »

Got it. Thanks!
Last edited by socratis on 5. Nov 2019, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.