critical error on install of Chrome on macOS Catalina

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Master Yoda

critical error on install of Chrome on macOS Catalina

Post by Master Yoda »

Tried to install Chrome OS in VirtualBox on macOS Catalina and got:
A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped.
Screen shot and logs attached.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(52.56 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Last edited by socratis on 21. Oct 2019, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary attachment, be more "green".
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: critical error on install of Chrome on macOS Catalina

Post by socratis »

Where did you get the installer from? Or did you get a pre-installed VDI?
00:00:00.262834 [/Devices/efi/] (level 2)
Why did you choose the EFI option? That's the default for OSX guests only.
00:00:54.312104 !! VCPU0: Guru Meditation -5300 (VERR_IEM_INSTR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED)
Yeah, something's wrong with your setup it seems like it.

I do have a Chrome guest, but see the 1st point, I'd like to try and re-create your setup.

PS. Host is your physical computer. Guest is the Virtual Machine that you're trying to run. There's no point in posting to the "Other Hosts" area, that post belongs to the "Other Guests" one, moving it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Master Yoda

Post by Master Yoda »

I thought I posted it in the Mac OS group.

I choose EFI because I run macOS Catalina. If I do not nothing happens but a black screen. I got the installer from neverware.

I'm new to virtual box
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Master Yoda wrote:I choose EFI because I run macOS Catalina
So, you're telling me that if you install a DOS guest, you're going to try and boot your DOS guest with EFI? The VM Settings are for the Guest, not the Host. And unless you know better, stick with the proposed ones. Don't mess with things that you might not understand...
Master Yoda wrote:I got the installer from neverware
Hmm... They provide a USB installer. How exactly did you go from that to a bootable medium for VirtualBox? I need exact, complete, clear, step-by-step instructions please...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Master Yoda

Post by Master Yoda »

From the neverware website:

If you're using a Mac or a Chromebook:
Download the appropriate CloudReady image below to your Downloads folder (not to the USB stick) and then follow the appropriate link below to our Install Guide for detailed instructions on how to proceed:

It gives you a bin file that you can convert to a virtual disk using the virtualbox command interface: "vboxmanage convertdd chromiumos_image.bin chromiumos_image.vdi"

I got the info from: ""gist.github.com/gerarldlee/57b5467d25f5e9129abe5c4d1881a745"" Also to select EFI.