OS/2 guest on Windows 10 host, sharedfolder issue

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Murphy87200

OS/2 guest on Windows 10 host, sharedfolder issue

Post by Murphy87200 »

Hi,

I installed ArcaOS 5.0.3 with VBox 6.0.8. I added the guest additions and I tried to mount a shared folder. I can see this folder but I get some errors when I try to access it. Is there something I can do to correct this issue ? Thanks and forgive me for my poor english.
Error Shared Folder VirtualBox 2.png
Error Shared Folder VirtualBox 2.png (105.75 KiB) Viewed 21122 times
JC
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: OS/2 guest on Windows 10 host, sharedfolder issue

Post by mpack »

My Guess: ArcaOS is not OS/2 at the kernel level (as you'd expect, otherwise what's the point of updating?). It seems to be completely closed, i.e. I see no indication that third party developers are welcomed, it seems to be all about keeping app level code running for old OS/2 die-hards. I'm kinda surprised that any such people exist after all this time.

You might want to try configuring a true network share rather than GA shared folders.
Murphy87200

Post by Murphy87200 »

ArcaOS is supposed to be based on IBM’s last release of OS/2 Warp 4 like eComstation. I'm a control engineer and I use this stuff to work with old plcs (programmable logic controlers) in industry. Computers are not my business so its a little bit complicated for me. Anyway I try the network solution you suggested but I get the same errors (No objects were found that matched the specified criteria). It seems the network connection is ok but the system is unable to acces network shared folders. I guess it's rather an OS issue so I should look on ArcaOS side. Thanks anyway.

JC
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Murphy87200 wrote:ArcaOS is supposed to be based on IBM’s last release of OS/2 Warp 4 like eComstation.
Of that I have no doubt. But what does "based on" actually mean? I can find no information on what changed. And that's assuming that it was based on IBM source code, but the Wikipedia entry (for example) doesn't actually say so. Could it just be a clone similar to ReactOS? I can see nothing definitive on that either. It all seems a bit dubious.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The "problem" is that it's not something that's readily available for commoners to test. I'm not willing to try something that's not free (as in ever registration-free) to ... try.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jvw_dfsee

Post by jvw_dfsee »

ArcaOS IS OS/2 at the kernel level, although the current kernel they ship includes a few (binary) patches to fix some issues.
(as specifically allowed by the ArcaNoae agreement with IBM). ArcaOS mainly adds a MUCH improved installer and
a YUM based package manager to make updating it much easier, plus lots of add-on drivers, tools and programs ...

It should work as good or better than the original OS/2 Warp 4.5 from IBM itself.

I am running ArcaOS 5.0 on VirtualBox 6.0.8 as well, allthough my host OS is macOS 10.14 (Mojave),
and the shared folders started working for me after some updates made to the OS/2 guest code
a few weeks ago. See the thread about that at:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=93499

That said, I mainly use the shared folders from the command line (text mode)
not from the OS/2 desktop (workplace shell) like you seem to be using.

I just checked, and while I am NOT getting the SYS0254 error about extended attributes,
I DO get the 'Objects not found ...' one, so it seems reproducible at least.

Note that I am running the updated guest-additions created by 'bird' for the hang problem,
which are in a test build at the moment, and should be part of the 6.0.9 release.
The test buids can be found here:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds

I suspect the problem could be related to the hidden 'WP ROOT. SF' file in the root
of every volume (including networked ones) although that file IS present here ...

You may need to open a ticket for this, supplying the required information like the host-side VirtualBox log.
Not sure how often the OS/2 capable developers (like bird) read this forum ...

FYI,
I do NOT get these errors when accessing the same location using regular networking.
(SAMBA like server at the macOS side, ArcaMapper SAMBA at the client)

Regards, JvW
----------------------------------
Jan van Wijk, author of DFSee
jvw_dfsee

Post by jvw_dfsee »

I have done some more testing, and it seems tat the main issue are missing 'Extended Attributes' on the directories (like the ROOT of the drive), that hold important information required by the WPS.
EA's are missing for regular files as well, but are less critical most of the time.

In short, the lack of EA-support in the OS/2 sharedfoler implementation sofar, prevents the use of the WPS (Drives object) to access it.

I am pretty sure that trying to access that same drive (D: in your case) using the commandline, like 'dir D:' would just work.

Regards, JvW
----------------------------------
Jan van Wijk, author of DFSee
erdmann
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: OS/2

Post by erdmann »

See here:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19453

Felix had fixed the problem and created an .IFS that I have been testing and that fixed the EA errors so that you can also use the WPS.