Time Slew on DOS6.22 VM

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Gherkin

Time Slew on DOS6.22 VM

Post by Gherkin »

Ok, I'm using VB5.2, under Ubuntu 14.04LTS, to run 6 DOS 6.22 VM's. Mostly it works like a charm. But I have ONE vm that loses time like its a precious resource or something. Approximately 20-40mins in an hour. I have trawled many places looking for an answer but haven't been find anything.

Only the one VM out of 6 has this issue, they were originally all clones, aside from manually changing the time, I can't find a way to correct it.

Any ideas appreciated.

A.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Time Slew on DOS6.22 VM

Post by mpack »

There are no GAs to think about, so it has to be something you did inside the VM or in the VM settings. I'd delete it and clone one of the others.

If the problem persists after that then it's the number of VMs that is the problem: 6 VMs would typically require a host with 8 cores (bearing in mind that threads are not cores).

DOS uses a system tick counter to measure elapsed time. If it can't service the timer tick pronto then it will lose time.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Moving to "Other Guests" from "Linux Hosts". The problem seems to be with the guest, not with the host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Gherkin wrote:Any ideas appreciated.
If you can tell us how the one VM that's losing time is different from the others, some ideas might be forthcoming.