Mouse Pointer Problem in Win-OS/2 Fullscreen

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
mipri

Mouse Pointer Problem in Win-OS/2 Fullscreen

Post by mipri »

Hello,

since VirtualBox 6.0.6 there is a problem with the mouse pointer in Win-OS2/2 fullscreen sessions. The pointer is not moving smoothly, but jumpinng in large steps of about 32 pixels. It also is limited to the upper half of the screen and cannot be moved to the lower half.

This only occurs in Win-OS/2 fullscreen sessions. It does not happen if a Win-OS/2 application is running seamless on the OS/2 desktop.

The problem is new in VirtualBox 6.0.6. I've tried reinstalling the old guest additions ver. 6.0.4, but this does not solve the problem.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mouse Pointer Problem in Win-OS/2 Fullscreen

Post by socratis »

Try with the latest test build (NOT the development snapshot). There is a problem with 6.0.6 and the mouse, see the "Discuss the 6.0.6 release", the Known Issues.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mipri

Post by mipri »

Hello,

installing VirtualBox 6.0.7-130331, Extension Pack-6.0.7-130347 and Guest Additions 6.0.7 did not solve the problem.

While testing with VirtualBox 5.2.28, I found that this version has the same problem. Version 5.2.24 (the last 5.x I was using) and 6.0.4 were ok.
mipri

Post by mipri »

While testing several versions of VirtualBox today, I also checked them for the mouse pointer problem and found that the pointer in Win-OS/2 fullscreen sessions is broken in all version of VirtualBox, even those that did work a few weeks ago.

For the moment it looks more like a problem with my guest installation than a problem with VirtualBox. I will try to check this in the next days.
Norbert Dragon

Post by Norbert Dragon »

I can confirm the described problem and more mouse problems under Virtualbox 6.0.8, Host Debian 10, guest OS/2 (eCS 2.1) .

No longer does OS/2 react on the simultaneous click of the left and right mouse keys, which normally produces the
list of hidden windows.

The OS/2 mouse settings report an improperly installed mouse driver.

There is the temporary workaround to choose in the mouse settings the right mouse key for the list of hidden windows and shift+right click
for the context menu, but I do not want to unlearn the handling of OS/2.

The bug seems to be in vboxmouse.sys of version 6.0.8 which strangely enough comes with the same date (the time differs by a few seconds) and size as vboxmouse.sys of version 5.2.30 though the files differ. In version 5.2.30, which still runs in my office, the mouse
works as expected, however I did not check Win-OS/2 fullscreen.

After my original posting I found that the problem is the time behaviour of the mouse driver:

Pressing and holding the left mouse key and then pressing the right key works as up to now the simultaneous pressing of both keys worked.
Attachments
eCS-2019-07-13-17-05-40.zip
(26.63 KiB) Downloaded 44 times