PrimeOS 4.2 guest fails to fully load on windows host

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
wat
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu-various

PrimeOS 4.2 guest fails to fully load on windows host

Post by wat »

I tried running PrimeOS classic guest and it never gets past the PrimeOS x86:/ # command line.
This happens whether loading it in live cd mode or fully installed to a virtual disk. Maybe I'm missing something obvious but shouldn't it boot straight to gui?

Its an android based mobile type os.
https://primeos.in/download/

Using Virtualbox 6.0.4
PrimeOS 4.2 Classic
Windows 10 64bit

gigs of ram and drive were allocated so it wasn't resource limited.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: PrimeOS 4.2 guest fails to fully load on windows host

Post by socratis »

wat wrote:Maybe I'm missing something obvious but shouldn't it boot straight to gui?
Well, that would depend on your settings... Plus, you got to remember it's an unsupported guest.

I downloaded "primeos_mainline_0.4.2.iso" and "primeos_classic_0.4.2.iso". I managed to get them into booting with the GUI by choosing the following options, which I copied from the Android-x86 guest that I have, and which PrimeOS is based on:
  • Guest type: Linux 2.6/3.x/4.x (64-bit)
  • RAM: 1024 MB
  • VRAM: 128 MB, 3D acceleration enabled, VBoxVGA.
Those settings allowed the "primeos_mainline_0.4.2.iso" to boot. Slow, but it booted in the GUI. I couldn't get the "primeos_classic_0.4.2.iso" to boot with the defaults.

The only way I could get that going was to select "Advanced Options" at the boot screen, "Live CD VESA mode - No GPU hardware acceleration" and in the screen options I selected "v"(=1024x768x32) or "w"(=1280x1024x32).

I didn't spend too much time to see if there were other settings that I could choose/experiment. But that should give you a starting point...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.