OS won't start

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Captain Ahab

OS won't start

Post by Captain Ahab »

Hello,

I want to install Whonix on the VB. This requires Whonix Gateway and Whonix Workstation. Unfortunately none of them starts correctly.
There's the message:

ata2 master: Unknown device

But this does not come as a direct error message from VB but as a message from Whonix.

Why is this happening? What's ata2?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: OS won't start

Post by andyp73 »

ata2 will be the name that Whonix has given to the third disk attachment (after ata0 and ata1). Start by checking in the VirtualBox manager that there are no invalid settings for the guest and also check that there aren't any SATA controllers without a virtual disk attached.

If you need more help then we are going to need a better description of the issues you are seeing and also the VBox.log file from the guest.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Cross post deleted from German language forum. Please don't create redundant topics.
Captain Ahab

Post by Captain Ahab »

andyp73 wrote:ata2 will be the name that Whonix has given to the third disk attachment (after ata0 and ata1). Start by checking in the VirtualBox manager that there are no invalid settings for the guest and also check that there aren't any SATA controllers without a virtual disk attached.

If you need more help then we are going to need a better description of the issues you are seeing and also the VBox.log file from the guest.

-Andy.
Thank you for the help. Could be a dumb question but do I realy need a virtual disk?
On the Whonix Site is no image to Download, only .ova . And there are instructions how to install on VB on the Website, without naming anything about a virtual disk. I saw a unallocated disk controller in the Settings, deleted it and now it starts. But only to the first screen, were i can choose between installing it normal or advanced. After it automatically chooses normal, it loads for a short Moment RAM and one other thing. But after that i have black screen.
I checked the VB Manager but dont saw invalid settings, but im also not very practiced with VMs. Log File is atteched.
mpack wrote:Cross post deleted from German language forum. Please don't create redundant topics.
Sorry, will not happen again.
Attachments
Whonix-Workstation-XFCE-2019-01-29-20-44-43.log
(65.21 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

An OVA is a zip containing a virtual disk, and control file and sometimes additional files.

To answer your question: a PC without a disk drive of any sort will not do much, and the same applies to virtual PCs.