Exporting Files: VBx 6.0.0, Win 10, Dos 6.22 Guest

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
LD

Exporting Files: VBx 6.0.0, Win 10, Dos 6.22 Guest

Post by LD »

I have searched, read and tried. How do I export files from my DOS 6.22 VM running VirtualBox 6.0.0 to the host machine, which is Windows 10 Home.

I've tried to install guest additions, without luck. HELP?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Exporting Files: VBx 6.0.0, Win 10, Dos 6.22 Guest

Post by socratis »

LD wrote:I've tried to install guest additions, without luck.
That's because there are no GAs for DOS.

The way to transfer files back in the DOS days, was either a network (not clicky-clicky, mind you), or via a floppy. In your case you could use a virtual floppy disk.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LD

Post by LD »

That was the conclusion I reached. Thank you for verifying.

How do I get the files out of the VM then? I'm puzzled.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

As I said; with a floppy. You create a floppy and you add it to the VM. You write the files to the floppy, eject the floppy and read it either from your host, or from another VM.

Moving to "Other Guests" from "Windows Hosts", since the issue is guest-specific, not host-specific.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The other standard way to transfer files back in DOS days was using a RS232 terminal program (file transfer program) of some kind. But, that's probably going to be a blind alley (finding suitable software, working around unreliable serial port emulations).

If you want to run something in DOS, have you considered using DOSBox? In DOSBox the program is just a shell and CPU simulator running on your host, and using what amounts to shared folders as drives, so transferring files isn't necessary (all the files in the shared folder are naturally visible to the host too).

Yes, you can run true DOS inside VirtualBox, but it isn't a supported guest: no GAs or other tools provided to make it easier. It simply isn't a focus of the tool.