New v6 but still no pure smooth motion?

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
nuninho

New v6 but still no pure smooth motion?

Post by nuninho »

Welcome to virtualbox. :)

I tested to play "Mario" game under MS-DOS using new v6... but I do NEVER get any "pure smooth motion" (= 60fps + 60Hz or 70fps + 70Hz or ... with vsync enabled) on any version of VirtualBox. :/

Watch my film on youtube - I can't post with link because I got "You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls." message. But you go youtube website and search "New VirtualBox v6 test - "Mario" game under MS-DOS". :)

How do I change settings on VirtualBox for fix any stutters/lags?

NOTE: I got pure smooth motion on Dosbox, MAME, Cemu... emulators and on native games (eg: LEGO Batman series...).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: New v6 but still no pure smooth motion?

Post by socratis »

nuninho wrote:NOTE: I got pure smooth motion on Dosbox, MAME, Cemu... emulators and on native games (eg: LEGO Batman series...).
I'd stick with that then. Those are the ones that we suggest in the forums for more accurate DOS-based games. They're really focused/optimized/fine-tuned for a very specific task, and they get a better performance.
nuninho wrote:How do I change settings on VirtualBox for fix any stutters/lags?
I don't think there's a lot of room to maneuver, but we could take a look at your ZIPPED VBox.log, from a complete start/play/shutdown VM session. Then right-click on the VM, Show Log. ZIP only the first log (VBox.log) and attach it to your response...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nuninho

Post by nuninho »

Attach log RAR (compressed) -
VBox.rar
(20.88 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
;)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.471002 File system of 'C:\Users\ricar\VirtualBox VMs\installfdd.img' (Floppy) is ntfs
00:00:01.471539 File system of 'H:\Install\MS-DOS emuladores e boots\
                DOS(Box) Games Bootable CD Version 2.4.iso' (DVD) is ntfs
Where did you get the Floppy image and the bootable ISO from? I don't particularly like the "DOS(Box)" part of the ISO's name. Is this DOS, or DOSBox running in the VM? If this is DOS, which DOS is it? What version?

Your VM settings look OK by the way...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nuninho

Post by nuninho »

"installfdd.img" - it isn't bootable but yes "motion" for MS-DOS is for motion test at 60 Hz (eg).

Version of MS-DOS is v7.1

I think I get stutters on any OS. ;)

If I'll get pure smooth motion in next version of Vbox, it will be amazing. :)
nuninho

Post by nuninho »

On MS-DOS:
text mode - 720x400@70Hz
graphics mode - 320x200@70Hz(?), 320x240@60Hz(?), 640x480@60Hz...
Do you remember this?

Can next version of Virtualbox eliminate abnormal stutter issues to get pure-smooth motion?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You still haven't told me where you got your files from. This doesn't look standard DOS to me. Both the floppy and the ISO. If I can't reproduce the problem, I can't see what you're talking about...

BTW, moving to "Other Guests" from "Using VirtualBox"...
nuninho

Post by nuninho »

We get huge stutters for MS-DOS v7.1 only? Not only!! But yes ANY OS!!!! >:(

Watch "Mario" game for MS-DOS on Dosbox through Youtube - https://youtu.be/1vaPbpFgLlA - I get pure smooth motion!!! lool
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Again you're avoiding the question: where did you get the ISOs from?
Otherwise I'm done with this thread...
nuninho

Post by nuninho »

Download - https://www.upload.ee/files/9352534/dos ... e.iso.html but !!ATTENTION to the FAKE name - do NOT download it!! But yes "dos_7.1_with_mario_game.iso" - this is true name and you can download it. ;)

MS-DOS boot with 1 game ("Mario").
1. to choose "DOS(box) Games 2.4" in startup menu
2. to digit "3" as "Mario" to start game
nuninho

Post by nuninho »

Can you eliminate huge stutters in next version of VBox??
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

nuninho wrote:Can you eliminate huge stutters in next version of VBox??
As ever, the devs don't tell us anything about what they are working on and when releases will happen so the best we can offer is informed speculation.

Unless the stutters are caused by a new feature in v6.0.0 that hasn't yet been optimised or are caused by a bug that affects other, more mainstream, guests (as defined by paying customers) then I wouldn't hold your breath! The use case you have described here is so much of a corner case it isn't likely to get too much attention.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The DOS version (7.1) is not an official one. The package is called "DOSBox" something, which points to something that was packaged specifically for DOSBox. Maybe you should be using that with DOSBox and not VirtualBox?
nuninho

Post by nuninho »

@socratis: DOS v7.1 isn't different to v6.x. Dosbox emulator is excellent for pure smooth. But it is much, much worse optimization of performance than VBox because:
On Dosbox, CPU guest = CPU host
- 486 at 66MHz = Pentium 3 at 1GHz
- Pentium 133 = Pentium 4 at 3GHz
- Intel Pentium 3 at ~600MHz = Core i7-4790K Haswell (my CPU :))

I'll be testing DOS v6.22 or Win 98 to see if I get huge stutters or not... But very probably huge stutters.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I can understand. But the point remains that you're running an unsupported configuration, on an unsupported guest.

Have you thought about MAME? Just saying... ;)

¡Feliz Navidad y Próspero Año Nuevo!