Android x86 7.1 boot loop after upgrade to VirtualBox 5.2.22

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
dvmc

Android x86 7.1 boot loop after upgrade to VirtualBox 5.2.22

Post by dvmc »

Hello,

after the upgrade to VirtualBox 5.2.22 (from 5.2.20), a virtual machine running Android x86 7.1 (32 bit) doesn't boot up anymore. It loads until the point where the screen resolution should increase, but instead of increasing the screen resolution, the machine just reboots. I've tried to downgrade to VirtualBox 5.2.20, but now I seem to have the same problem using that version, too.

This is a screenshot using the debug mode, just right before the reboot:
Kernel panic screenshot (debug mode)
Kernel panic screenshot (debug mode)
kernelpanic.png (14.98 KiB) Viewed 9814 times
Here is a logfile of one such a bootloop, with user requested shutdown after one loop:
VBox.log
Logfile of one boot loop
(101.25 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
I'm using Windows 7 Professional N (64 bit).

Any ideas on how to successfully boot the machine again? Thanks in advance!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Android x86 7.1 boot loop after upgrade to VirtualBox 5.2.22

Post by socratis »

dvmc wrote:It loads until the point where the screen resolution should increase
dvmc wrote:after the upgrade to VirtualBox 5.2.22
dvmc wrote:VirtualBox 5.2.20, but now I seem to have the same problem using that version
So, a switch to more powerful graphics affects now both 5.2.20 and 5.2.22, which means it's not the VirtualBox version, but your graphics drivers in your host. Could you ZIP and post the VBoxHardening.log from such a session?

Moving to "Other Guests" from "Linux Guests".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dvmc

Post by dvmc »

Assuming VBoxHardening.log corresponds to VBox.log, here it is:
VBoxHardening.zip
(23.32 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

dvmc wrote:Assuming VBoxHardening.log corresponds to VBox.log...
That would be a bad assumption. I suggest that you provide the log requested, it's right there in the same folder.
dvmc

Post by dvmc »

mpack wrote:
dvmc wrote:Assuming VBoxHardening.log corresponds to VBox.log...
That would be a bad assumption. I suggest that you provide the log requested, it's right there in the same folder.
The VBoxHardening.log above is from a copy of the Logs folder from when the problem arised and I was using VirtualBox 5.2.22. Same goes for VBox.log from the first post of this thread. Is that okay or should I provide the most recent VBoxHardening.log?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I didn't see anything in the VBoxHardening.log.
And since Android x86 is not supported, I can't really tell what's going on and it reboots. No clue...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ah, I misunderstood what you meant by "corresponding", and I didn't notice that Socratis had asked for the hardening log.
00:00:01.054465 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
It seems clear to me that 16MB is not enough graphics RAM, in fact the settings dialogs should be giving you the same warning.
dvmc

Post by dvmc »

Ok, thanks for looking through and getting back, Socratis!
mpack wrote:
00:00:01.054465 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
It seems clear to me that 16MB is not enough graphics RAM, in fact the settings dialogs should be giving you the same warning.
Huh, that's weird. According to the settings dialog there are 32MB of graphics RAM. VRamSize was also 16MB in the log of the functioning boot. Even maxing out to 128MB doesn't really help, but now it's really 128MB in the logfile.

On a related note: I'm really embarrased to say this and having wasted your time, but reviewing the logs of the functioning boots, Android x86 actually did work with version 5.2.22. I could have sworn there was an update in between, but if there wasn't, then what could be the cause?

If it helps, here's the logs folder from when I noticed the problem. The latest two files (VBox.log and VBox.log.1) show the boot loop. Vbox.log rebooted just once, VBox.log.1 rebooted more often. The older two files (VBox.log.2 and VBox.log.3) worked fine.
Logs Error.zip
Most recent two logs show boot loop
(104.8 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There's absolutely nothing different as far as VirtualBox goes. I compared VBox.log and VBox.log.3 and they're similar like two drops of water. Something must be going inside your guest, don't ask me what it might be...
dvmc

Post by dvmc »

All right, thanks for looking through again! There were no system updates between the working and not-working logs, also my packet manager (chocolatey) didn't update anything during that time, either. Would it be of any use that I cross-post this to the Windows Hosts forum?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

dvmc wrote:Would it be of any use that I cross-post this to the Windows Hosts forum?
No. We all read all the forums, it's only going to be a duplicate and removed according to the forum rules.