Does Palo Alto (VM) firewall supported in VirtualBox?

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
prenatip

Does Palo Alto (VM) firewall supported in VirtualBox?

Post by prenatip »

Has anyone managed to installed and run Palo Alto (VM) firewall successfully in VirtualBox?

I've been trying to setup my own lab for learning purposes. Basically, this lab contains client, firewall, and server with different network segment.

Client --> Firewall --> Server

I managed to install it but can't make it work on network part. Only host-only setting for Palo Alto management interface is working while other interfaces not.

I've been testing this for days now.

As example, I can't ping from client to the firewall interface (ethernet1/1) where VirtualBox interface is set to internal on both guest OS.

tcpdump output shows nothing at all.

According to Udemy video created by Rassoul Ghaznavi Zadeh (Last updated 2/2017) and he said VirtualBox is not supported. [offsite link deleted].

I hope this not true or there is some good development since the video hasn't been updated since last year.
Last edited by mpack on 20. Jul 2018, 09:41, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Delete suspicious offsite link.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Does Palo Alto (VM) firewall supported in VirtualBox?

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox provides a hardware simulation. It has no knowledge or interest in the software you run inside the simulated hardware. If it consists of an OS that is compatible with the provided (mainly legacy) hardware then the OS should run. As should any software which is compatible with that OS and doesn't need special hardware features.

I deleted the offsite link you provided, as it didn't seem to provide anything important to the conversation. I'm glad to answer specific questions, but we don't provide commentary on opinions expressed on external sites.