MS-DOS CDROM problem

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Paolo_R
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS-DOS, Solaris, Open Solaris, FreeBSD, Kubuntu, Ubuntu

MS-DOS CDROM problem

Post by Paolo_R »

I am running MS-DOS 6.22 in VirtualBox.

In AUTOEXEC.BAT I have: LH C:\DOS\MSCDEXE.EXE /D:MSCD001 /L:D /M:8
In CONFIG.SYS I have : DEVICEHIGH C:\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001

On booting I get: Oak Technology.. Device Name: MSCD001...No drivers found, aborted installation.
This is then followed by: Device driver not found: 'MSCD001'...No valid CDROM device drivers selected.

As far as I'm aware the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS entries are correct. Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Thank
Paul
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: MS-DOS CDROM problem

Post by andyp73 »

The commands look OK and are the same as the ones I use with the exception of the extra command line switches on MSCDEX.EXE.

In you VM settings you have got a CD drive configured and it is connected to an IDE channel and not SATA.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Can we see the complete CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT? (in one zip)? I see that you're using devicehigh and loadhigh, so I especially want to see how you've configured extended memory.

Also, if you could show me the directory listing for C:\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS that would be good too. I'm mainly interested in file size.

I would also try removing that /M:8 switch from mscdex. It looks like it should be legit, but I don't know why it's there: it's being loaded high, so memory shouldn't be a problem.

Also please confirm that the only other drive in the system is the C: drive (and possibly floppies). I.e. no possibility of contention for the 'D:' label you are statically assigning with the /L:x switch.
Paolo_R

Post by Paolo_R »

mpack

Thanks. After many boots and reboots my config actually worked and a CD ROM was recognised. I've no idea why it happened this time after failing so many times before. Anyway here is a zipped file showing autoexec.bat, config.sys and the directory listing including oakcdrom.sys.

The only drives I have are a floppy, which is empty and an IDE Primary master controller with my DOSAPPS.ISO and a secondary master with export-disk1.vmdk, a VMWare MS-DOS imported to VB.

Any comments will be appreciatd.

Thanks
Paul
Attachments
vboxdos.zip
(31.28 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Your CONFIG.SYS seems a bit odd to me. E.g. I don't understand how it's possible to use the "devicehigh" command to load himem.sys high, as ISTR the latter must be loaded and working before the former command can work. If this was FreeDOS then I'd think ok, maybe this DOS has been frigged - but this is DOS 6.22, as standard as they come. However, it has been a few years since I last needed to know any of this, so maybe Michaln will come along at some point to comment.

Also "files=100" seems wrong too. I doubt DOS can actually have that many files open at once.

Below is my own CONFIG.SYS for comparison:
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (7.29 KiB) Viewed 12082 times
Paolo_R

Post by Paolo_R »

mpack

I've just noticed that my original post has MSCDEX.EXE in autoexec.bat and OAKCDROM.SYS in config.sys- this may account for the problems I was having :oops: . Probably due to the fact that I was juggling MS-DOS in one VirtualBox VM and PC-DOS in another one.

However I'll revisit my config.sys as you suggest.

Thanks
Paul
Paolo_R

Post by Paolo_R »

Sorry, ignore my last post. I'm even more confused than I thought I was :D