Emulation of an Full Android Device?

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
RonTheBird

Emulation of an Full Android Device?

Post by RonTheBird »

Hello All,

I realize this question may have been asked many a time... But is there any way to fully emulate an Android device in Virtual Box?
I know there is a sort of "watered down" version called Android OS, but it doesn't fit my needs.

I want to perform root testing on various Samsung devices. (S6, S7, S7 Edge, etc) Is there any way to use the device images to create virtual versions of these devices that can be controlled from my computer?

I understand this may be too outlandish for Virtual Box, but I thought I'd give it a shot and see if you guys have any suggestions.

Thanks for reading, and for your responses. :)
-Luke
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Emulation of an Full Android Device?

Post by socratis »

You might not know it, but VirtualBox cannot emulate other CPUs except an x86. So, the answer is no.

Also, consider changing your favorite internet search engine. There should be plenty of results about this, but the search engine you're using now, does not seem to return any results for some reason.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RonTheBird

Post by RonTheBird »

Thanks for your answer. I was aware of this, but I figured since it supports a version of Android, the option could be possible.
I actually did do a couple hours of research, but nothing really came up. Also, I found nothing mentioned about this topic in the forums here. Obligatory apologies for the wasted thread I guess..
I use google btw (best one around in my book. ;) )
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

RonTheBird wrote:I figured since it supports a version of Android, the option could be possible.
There were 4 different versions of NT: x86, Alpha, MIPS and RISC. There were 2 different versions of OSX: x86 and PowerPC. And there are as many Linux kernels as there are processor families (well, almost). VirtualBox deals with x86.

And there is an x86 Android out there. It's just not your device, and it's still not a supported guest...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RonTheBird

Post by RonTheBird »

Gotcha. Guess I should have delved a bit deeper into the x86 Android availability. I'll be sure to do that in the future. Thanks for your time. :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Even if VirtualBox could somehow emulate the processor in the Samsung phones (which it can't), it still couldn't emulate a Samsung phone - because VirtualBox is a PC hardware emulation, and a Samsung phone is nothing like a PC.