Discuss: Set up (Free)DOS with networking and shared folders

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
freezesicle
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: DOS 6.22

Re: Disucss: Set up (Free)DOS with networking and shared fol

Post by freezesicle »

i am trying to get a dos 6.22 guest to network with a windows 7 host. i will post a message about my progress today or tomorrow. the forum is saying i can't post links until i have 1 message and 1 day as a member. :(
bpoint
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 x64

Post by bpoint »

After much fighting, I finally got Shared Folders/samba working in MS-DOS 6.22.

I've posted a complete HOWTO with all of the steps necessary in detail here: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47461
mladoux

Post by mladoux »

Just wanted to point out the netshar link is pointing to the wrong file, it's pointing to the same file as the wg1049, when it should be pointing too /Softlib/MSLFILES/netshar.EXE on the microsoft ftp ( can't post urls yet... whatever )
ghr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Post by ghr »

You could check this one: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47461 titled HOWTO: Shared Folders/samba with DOS guest on VBox 4.1.8
mtr

Post by mtr »

Does anyone have ready to go FreeDOS image that will work with Samba? There is an old DOS based program that won't work with Windows 7 and Windows 8 so I was hoping to get the program working via VirtualBox with FreeDOS and Samba.

The wiki page (the forum won't let me post the link) gives a pointer to the AMD driver and AMD no longer seems to want to share the NDIS 2 drivers.

I've tried to build a NetBootDisk (again, can't post a link) and the disk creation batch file won't allow the creation of a booting floppy so I can attempt to see if I can get the program to even work in VirtualBox hosting DOS.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

mtr wrote:The wiki page (the forum won't let me post the link) gives a pointer to the AMD driver and AMD no longer seems to want to share the NDIS 2 drivers.
Hmm, is http://download.amd.com/techdownloads/wfw31.zip not the right thing? It's a pain to extract but AFAIK it is the right driver...
MJK

Post by MJK »

Mainly for Lurkers...

Many thanks to all who have posted above, and to those who have pinned the referenced papers, HowTos, websites.

I spent many hours trying to get Folder/File-Sharing to work between a Windows7-Pro-64bit Host and DOS-6.22 under Virtual-Box (4.3.6). I closely followed the posts here, and the referenced posts and websites. All worked well, including NET SHARE in the VM (sharing folders FROM the VM up to the Host), but NET USE (to access shares from the Host by the VM) could never reach the Host, and always gave "Error 53.....", as mentioned above by Jeff99.

In my case, the NET USE sprang into life when I eventually changed the VM Network setting from "Bridged Adapter" to "Host-Only Adapter".

However, I had already made numerous tweaks to IP addresses (of the V-Box and of the VM itself), Dynamix/Static IPs, etc, etc, but the "Host-Only" setting seemed to have been the critical bit. I'll need to re-visit many settings, etc, and tidy up the configs. If I find anything useful, I'll post here. One thing, I expect that the "Host-Only" config will probably have no DHCP server accessible, so I'll probably have to assign static IPs... which is a small pity...

Hope the above is of some use.
- Mike
ghr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Re: Discuss: Set up (Free)DOS with networking and shared folders

Post by ghr »

Late, I know, but for those who DO search and read etc.: typically I use host-only and have DHCP enabled, so no need for manual configuration :)
ssybesma

Post by ssybesma »

This regards sharing.

I was not able to get the instructions to work at the wiki link "Set up a DOS VM with networking (and shared folders)."

They didn't seem very clear to me. I got fairly close, though. Network driver for PCNet loaded successfully. MS Network Client 3.0 loaded successfully.

The main thing is that the MS Network Client 3.0 "NET" command definitely does not have a 'SHARE' subcommand and the wiki mentions it.

That's where things fell apart for me.

I'm using a Novell DOS 7 VM in Virtualbox 5.1 (for nostalgia sake because I used to use it). I'm not loading Personal Netware which is a part of that. I have WfW 3.11 installed in the VM as well.

There is a 2nd NET command in the WIndows (WfW 3.11) folder.

Either way, the SHARE subcommand mentioned in the Wiki isn't part of either NET command, unless the NET command is referring to my Windows 10 host, but using it on the host didn't make any sense, since I'm trying to share from the VM.
dlharper
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: MS Windows (several versions); DOS

Post by dlharper »

The MS Network Client software is only for networking as a client. To network as a server and so share folders you need to add the "Workgroup Add-on" (WG1049.EXE) or else NNET.EXE. Either will replace some of the files in C:\NET (including NET.EXE). After this issue the command: "NET START SERVER" and you will have the SHARE commands available. (I must admit that I have only tried this with NNET.EXE, but it should work with either file-set.)

This is a DOS issue, and not actually anything to do with VirtualBox itself.
dlharper

Post by dlharper »

Forgot to mention: You also need to change "filesharing" to "Yes" in C:\NET\SYSTEM.INI for this to work.
ssybesma

Post by ssybesma »

dlharper wrote:Forgot to mention: You also need to change "filesharing" to "Yes" in C:\NET\SYSTEM.INI for this to work.
Outstanding reply...now I have something I can work with.

I'll keep you posted.
ssybesma

Post by ssybesma »

Getting a lot closer again. I think I screwed things up a bit yesterday so I'll start the process over with re-creating the VM.

System.ini and Protocol.ini are messed up from multiple attempts and edits.

You got me to the point where NET START SERVER works and the NET SHARE command finally is there. It showed my shared resource as \\WFW311VM, but I just haven't been able to get from outside my VM into it.

I'll be so happy once this functions that I'll backup the VM to ensure I have one that works.
dlharper

Post by dlharper »

Do make sure that the network connection for the VM is set to "Bridged", or "Host-only". You won't be able to access the VM share if you are using "NAT", and if you are using "Internal" you should be able to access it from other VMs running alongside it but not from the host or elsewhere.
ssybesma

Post by ssybesma »

OK, I'll make sure to use bridged.