[Solved] OS/2 will not boot

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Paolo_R
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: MS-DOS, Solaris, Open Solaris, FreeBSD, Kubuntu, Ubuntu

[Solved] OS/2 will not boot

Post by Paolo_R »

I have been running OS/2 Warp 4.52 for a long time on VB. Today when I powered up the guest I got a message to the effect that VT-x/AMD-v was not available on my system amd that OS/2 (amongst others) would not boot. I have also been running ArcaOS (a new release based on Warp 4.52) successfully for the last couple of weeks and this again failed to boot this morning.

So why has VB suddenly decided that I don't have VT-x/AMD-v and failed to boot? VBox.log attached.

Thanks
Attachments
VBox.log
(116.73 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Last edited by socratis on 28. Jun 2017, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OS/2 will not boot

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.256751 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes
It's not VirtualBox, it's your BIOS. Please go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.

PS. For future reference you should ZIP your logs. It helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Paolo_R

Post by Paolo_R »

Socratis

Thanks. I will look at the FAQ (although OS/2 and ArcaOS are 32 bit guests) but I can't understand why OS/2 and ArcaOS have suddenly stopped booting after so long, particularly OS/2 - I haven't made any changes to my BIOS.

I note your comment about zipping logs :D

Paul
Paolo_R

Post by Paolo_R »

I've checked my BIOS. The only setting which seems relevant is 'Virtualization' and the is Enabled.

Paul
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So far the FAQ has not proven to be wrong. There are so many reasons why this can happen. If it's not the one, it's got to be another. There's no way around it. Your CPU supports VT-x. You checked the BIOS (did you cold-reboot?). Then something is using it. Check the known culprits...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Paolo_R

Post by Paolo_R »

Socratis

What are the usual suspects?

Paul
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Paolo_R wrote:What are the usual suspects?
They're in the linked article that I pointed you to:
The usual culprits are system level debuggers, other VM platforms, and some resident anti-virus applications. This has become a particular issue with 64bit Windows desktop and server hosts - especially Win8/Win2k12/Win10, since these may enable Microsoft's Hyper-v VM platform by default: this grabs ownership of VT-x and won't play nice with VirtualBox.

Note
2. On some Windows hosts with an EFI BIOS, DeviceGuard or CredentialGuard may be active by default, and interferes with OS level virtualization apps in the same way that Hyper-v does. These features need to be disabled.
Paolo_R

Post by Paolo_R »

Socratis

It appears that my AV was the problem. The defaults regarding VT-x\AMD-v must have changed and having updated the program a couple of days ago I wasn't aware of that. Anyway I've disabled the hardware virtualization feature and OS/2 and ArcaOS now boot as usual.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Paul
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Paolo_R wrote:Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Yeah, unfortunately I had to do it twice, but we have a happy ending. Marking this one as [Solved].