FreeDOS audio under virtualbox

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: FreeDOS audio under virtualbox

Post by michaln »

So many posts and you can't mention a single piece of software that's not working for you, after being repeatedly asked? Is this some sort of elaborate joke? Testing a new AI? Just dogged determination to waste people's time? Either way, I'm done with this thread.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

graffy wrote:regarding VirtualBox, I downloaded the appropriate ubuntu amd64 version from the VirtualBox downloads page and resubmitted the log using that version instead of the version I originally used.
So you did, sorry about that.
graffy

Post by graffy »

Regarding specific software I'm running:

I'm running a lot of old DOS games, none of which have functioning audio. Specifically Silpheed, Hero's Quest, CodeName Iceman, King's Quest, Police Quest, Battle Chess, Night Shift, and more. There's quite a few that I'm trying to salvage from my old archive of 3.5" floppies.

I'm going to try digging up the old SoundBlaster drivers to see if they help.

Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

graffy wrote: I'm going to try digging up the old SoundBlaster drivers to see if they help.
Doesn't FreeDOS already come with one? Remember that FreeDOS is not classic DOS. I would have no faith that some ancient random driver will do better than one recommended by the FreeDOS project.

I have no idea about the config requirements of any of your games. What you need is a standalone SoundBlaster specific test app for DOS.

And I would start from the assumption that it's a config error on your part. Somewhere in the chain you've got the config wrong, or you've muted the audio. Remember that VirtualBox VMs must support audio, or people would notice. The VM doesn't stop supporting audio when you install FreeDOS inside.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

I think none of those games actually have Sound Blaster support. They have AdLib support (OPL2) which VirtualBox does not emulate. So silence is expected. I don't know if qemu emulates OPL2/3 nowadaya, perhaps it does, certainly didn't use to.