copy/paste & drag/drop not working Windows-to-DOS

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
eag

copy/paste & drag/drop not working Windows-to-DOS

Post by eag »

Hello. I have installed VB 5.1.14 on Windows 7, and created VM using Freedos 1.2. I enabled "drag and drop" and "shared clipboard", host-to-guest, but neither one works. For drag-drop, I get the "stop" sign icon when the mouse goes over the VM window. Perhaps not so surprising, since DOS VM does not support capturing mouse? But why is copy/paste not working? I press ctrl-v at the DOS prompt in VM, and get nothing.

Do these features work for others using DOS VM? Thanks, Eva
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: copy/paste & drag/drop not working Windows-to-DOS

Post by socratis »

eag wrote:Do these features work for others using DOS VM?
No, they don't. And they don't work for any guest that has no Guest Additions (GAs). DOS is one of those guests. Without GAs, no copy/paste, no Drag'n'Drop.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
eag

Post by eag »

Thank you for confirming that this feature just isn't available. So... the only way to get files from Windows host to DOS guest is via CD, .iso file, or floppy drive? I am not proposing to embark on setting up shared folders. Thanks, Eva
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Board index ‹ General ‹ Howtos and Tutorials ‹ Other Guests
There are several tutorials there. Searching also in the big search engines and adding "site:forums.virtualbox.org" after your query will restrict your search to these forums alone.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.