Netware 6.5 Network settings assistance needed

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
ckozely

Netware 6.5 Network settings assistance needed

Post by ckozely »

I have just installed a VM Netware 6.5 on a Windows 10 host.
I selected the "HOST ONLY" setting for the network adaptor.
My windows host ip is 192.168.0.165 so I programmed my Netware virtualized server to be 192.168.0.220.
I download the netware client for windows 10 and was not able to "see" the netware guest tree and server.

Can any one confirm how you program a server so that I can access it on the host network or anyone who is on this same network?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Netware 6.5 Network settings assistance needed

Post by socratis »

ckozely wrote:My windows host ip is 192.168.0.165
That's your hosts public IP. The HostOnly network creates another network, a private one. Unless you modified the settings, it defaults to your host having a 192.168.56.1 address and a DHCP server on the host giving addresses to your guests from 192.168.56.101 to 192.168.56.254.

More details on Ch. 6.7. Host-only networking of the User Manual.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ckozely

Post by ckozely »

Thank you for your post reply.
I am still a bit confused as I can not find any explicit documentation about my intented configuration.

I want to put a Windows Server and a Novell Netware 6.5 server both as VM guests of a Indows 10 host.
The Windows 10 host is running on a network 192.168.0.X
Both servers has a fixed IP. What is the best network configuration in order for any station of my 192.168.0.X network to see both servers that will, I assume, has an address within this range (192.168.0.220 and 192.168.0.221 for example)
I assumed that HOST ONLY was the best solution. Was I right? Is there any documentation that addresses this specifically?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Yes you weren't correct about the HostOnly. HostOnly means what is says. Host only and nothing else. That's it.

See Ch. 6.2 Introduction to networking modes. It's the Bridged mode that you need. Detailed documentation as requested, in the User Manual Ch. 6.5 Bridged networking.

[pre]+-----------+-------------+-------------+----------------+----------------+
| | VM <-> Host | VM1 <-> VM2 | VM -> Internet | VM <- Internet |
+-----------+-------------+-------------+----------------+----------------+
| HostOnly | Yes | Yes | No | No |
| Internal | No | Yes | No | No |
| Bridged | Yes | Yes | Yes | Yes |
| NAT | No | No | Yes | Port forward |
| NATNet | No | Yes | Yes | No |
+-----------+-------------+-------------+----------------+----------------+[/pre]
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.