[Solved] Bluetooth 4.0 on Android VM

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
NathanXXX

[Solved] Bluetooth 4.0 on Android VM

Post by NathanXXX »

I've got Android VM 4.3 on Ubuntu 16.10 working fine.
Even Bluetooth is working (I can detect some bluetooth devices from the Android VM) (I'm using a USB dongle on my PC).

The problem is that the version detected by Android seems to be OLDER than what my Bluetooth really is:
It's a Bluetooth 4.0 dongle, confirmed on my Ubuntu PC with:

Code: Select all

$ hciconfig -a
hci0:	Type: Primary  Bus: USB
	BD Address: 00:1A:7D:DA:71:14  ACL MTU: 310:10  SCO MTU: 64:8
	UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN 
	RX bytes:724 acl:0 sco:0 events:55 errors:0
	TX bytes:3943 acl:0 sco:0 commands:55 errors:0
	Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xfe 0xdb 0xff 0x5b 0x87
	Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3 
	Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK 
	Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT 
	Name: 'nathan-MS-7788'
	Class: 0x100104
	Service Classes: Object Transfer
	Device Class: Computer, Desktop workstation
	HCI [b]Version: 4.0[/b] (0x6)  Revision: 0x22bb
	LMP [b]Version: 4.0 [/b](0x6)  Subversion: 0x22bb
	Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
but, using an app installed on the VM like "BLE checker", it shows : BLE Not Supported.

EDIT: Okay, Android 4.3 has a lot of problem apparently with Bluetooth 4.0 (LE), even natively :roll: ... I've switched to Android VM 5.1 and it works
Tutai

Re: [Solved] Bluetooth 4.0 on Android VM

Post by Tutai »

Could you please share the exact steps ? It will be really helpful for me.

Does the android on Virtual Box able to switch on the bluetooth and search other device ?

Thanks in advance -
Tutai
Tutai

Post by Tutai »

I am trying this in many ways. I am using VirtualBox 6.0 on Windows 10. The CSR 4.0 Bluetooth dongle is working properly in the host OS. However, something I am missing and the Android-X86 8.1 rel_2 could not detect the external BLE dongle. Can someone help me on this ? My inbuilt laptop Bluetooth is working fine but I want to use the BLE dongle in my desktop. Could you please help me on this ?

Can i get connected with you and get it done?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Tutai wrote:My inbuilt laptop Bluetooth is working fine but I want to use the BLE dongle in my desktop
Does your Android VM have drivers for the BLE dongle? If your built-in is working, but the BLE doesn't, that's what I would suspect.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tutai

Post by Tutai »

I have the same concern, but does it mean that Android X86 comes with thinkpad on-board BLE driver but not for any external USB dingle ?
Last edited by socratis on 22. Oct 2019, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Could be... from the signs of it, that's what I think might happen. You'll need to ask the Android-x86 people.

In fact you're really lucky that it even works with your built-in Bluetooth adapter, since Android-x86 is not even a supported guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.