Can multiple virtual machines access the same set of text files?

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Clueless in Seattle
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS-DOS

Can multiple virtual machines access the same set of text files?

Post by Clueless in Seattle »

I'm trying to figure out a way to continue using my favorite decades-old DOS software on a modern computer.

I'm toying with the idea of running multiple virtual DOS machines on a single computer, each DOS machine dedicated to a different DOS program.

I got this idea from a guy on a BBS who posted: 'The DOS machines may be able to share a larger "DOS disk", you'll
have to experiement to find out. For now assume each will be independant of each other.'

I'd like to have all of the virtual DOS machines share access to a single set of text files residing on the actual host computer's hard drive (or perhaps on external USB hard drives). Is that possible? I can imagine how conflicts could arise if two different DOS machines were to attempt to access the same file at the same time.
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Can multiple virtual machines access the same set of text files?

Post by Martin »

As DOS doesn't have a concept of a shared/clustered file system the only way probably is to get networking configured in your DOS guests and use normal network file sharing.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Why not simply install OS/2 or eComStation as OS on host or in a guest, and run all the DOS applications you like.
That way they have access to the same HD's.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Yoda wrote:Why not simply install OS/2 or eComStation as OS on host or in a guest
We've already covered that part (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=80239). Frankly I don't understand why there was a need for a new thread.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.