Copy and Paste between Multiple MS-DOS 6.21 Virtual Machines?

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Copy and Paste between Multiple MS-DOS 6.21 Virtual Machines?

Post by mpack »

You'll have problems with USB on Windows 98. Yes, Win98 had a driver for a USB controller, but it had no native support for any Win98 devices. E.g. each mass storage device (e.g. thumb drive) had to be supplied with a Win98 driver, which are no longer supplied with modern thumb drives (not since ~2004).

OTOH, I seem to recall that someone once ported (or rewrote) the XP generic mass storage driver stack to Win98. Try looking in the tutorials area. Obviously this will only help with mass storage. More unusual USB devices plain won't work.

Normally I would suggest configuring the drive as a true network share, but I never had much luck with that on a Win98 guest. I could share a Win98 folder with the host no problem. I couldn't share a host folder or drive with the guest.
Clueless in Seattle
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS-DOS

Post by Clueless in Seattle »

socratis wrote:Read the FAQ, (You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls)Tutorial: Windows 95/98 guest OSes and keep the link handy; I have a feeling you're going to need it ;)
Thanks for that link, socratis. At first glance it appears that I lack the technical knowledge and skills I would need to be able to successfully run a version of Win 9x under VirtualBox. :(

So, if I want to keep running my old DOS programs, I may have to resign myself to the life of an antique computer junk collector. Or maybe try out something like FreeDOS, to see if it could reliably run my old software.
Will in Seattle
a.k.a. "Clueless"
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Clueless in Seattle wrote:At first glance it appears that I lack the technical knowledge and skills
Have a second look at it then. It's really not that difficult, just big.
(famous last words before the David-Goliath fight...)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.