Which host server?

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
tinkertanya

Which host server?

Post by tinkertanya »

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie on the forum - just started a database development course from home. I am half way through my first assignment on VirtualBox & trying to sift through hundreds of post on the forum for an answer.

Referring to the Oracle white papers online as a guideline, I have created a recommendation scenario for a supply chain logistics company with 150 staff and two warehouses. VM calc is 180GB, with 12 cores, but I don't know which host server is best suited based on this RAM & CPU capacity.

Any particular suggestions?
tinkertanya
:mrgreen:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Which host server?

Post by socratis »

What do you mean "VM calc"? Calculations? I'm not very good at abbreviations.
And does 180 GB refer to RAM?
And finally, are you asking for specific hardware recommendation that can hold such a VM?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tinkertanya

Post by tinkertanya »

Virtual memory calculations & yes I mean base memory requirement.
With reference to the white paper on Oracle's website, I have changed the company size to reflect my
own scenario/calculations for my assignment. The 'Oracle Sun X4170 M2 server range' is recommended
based on 500 users. I am wanting to recommend for 150 users.

Further info from the design proposal I am referring to (as I cant post a weblink at this point in time).
Quote: 'Calculating Total Memory Requirements for Virtualization
Oracle VM VirtualBox has a base memory requirement of around 1024MB in a VDI deployment.
In addition, there is a per-desktop requirement which is proportional to the size of the VM. A
guideline 20% of VM memory size for hypervisor housekeeping is a safe, if cautious, number.'

Memory required = 1024MB + number of desktops * memory size of the VM *1.2
Memory required = 1024MB + 150* 1024MB * 1.2
Memory required = ~180GB

Quote: 'Calculating Total CPU Requirements for Virtualization
When calculating the CPU requirements, the key resource is the number of cores available to the
hypervisor to schedule the guest threads. Experience has shown that 10-15 virtual machines
(VMs)/core is easily achievable with modern server CPU architectures and so the calculation of
CPU requirements for our 150 users is as follows":

Cores required = number of VMs/12
Cores required = 150/12
Core required = ~12 cores

it then goes on to say....

'Hardware Choice for Virtualization
We now need to choose the servers that, when combined, will provide the calculated RAM and
CPU capability.
Factors influencing choice include heat, space, power considerations, built-in NIC capability, as
well as more strategic factors such as the attitude to the impact of catastrophic failure of a server.
For example, a large number of small servers would impact less running users, than fewer large
servers hosting many more desktops per node.
In our design we have settled on the Oracle Sun X4170 M2 server range. These are space efficient
1 Rack Unit high, yet can be populated, at the time of writing, with up to a maximum of 144GB
RAM and Intel CPUs providing up to 12 cores. Our n+1 resilience model requires that we add an
extra server to cater for failure of another node'.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

tinkertanya wrote:Further info from the design proposal I am referring to
Please wait for 1/2 day more to post the link. I really, really want to read this. Especially the part which says:
tinkertanya wrote:A guideline 20% of VM memory size for hypervisor housekeeping is a safe, if cautious, number.
and
tinkertanya wrote:Cores required = number of VMs/12
P.S. I might be out for 2-3 days, but I will get back to you, unless someone steps in.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tinkertanya

Post by tinkertanya »

Oracle dot com /us /technologies/virtualization /resources/index.html

If there is anyone else in the meantime that can make a suggestion on a suitable server,
it would be much appreciated as Im hoping to get this assessment in by tomorrow.

Cheers
tinkertanya
:mrgreen:
Last edited by mpack on 11. Aug 2016, 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: De-obfuscate URL.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please be aware that Oracle VM is not the same product as VirtualBox. Different markets (server vs desktop).
tinkertanya

Post by tinkertanya »

Thank you mpack, noted. :)
tinkertanya

Post by tinkertanya »

I just had another look at that Oracle white paper, it was released in late 2011, which makes it quite dated. I'm not sure if the calculations are still in context to today's standard.