MSDOS + shared folders

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
uMorra
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: DOS

MSDOS + shared folders

Post by uMorra »

Hi, everybody

I am going to launch the whimsical DOS-program in a virtual machine environment.
The program needs COM port, LPT port, shared folders, VESA videomodes, direct access to RAM and video-RAM.
Virtualbox 5.x doesn't provide shared folders for DOS-guest.
VB 3 doesn't give access to the floppy drive and I can't execute primary loading from a diskette to set DOS on the virtualized HDD.

Would anyone tell me can the Virtualbox cope with this task and if yes, what version it is better for me?

Thanks.
with best regards; u Morra
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: MSDOS + shared folders

Post by socratis »

• COM port and LPT port can be done. Specifically for LPT ports, see Enabling and Configuring Parallel (LPTx) Ports.
  • Shared folders per se cannot be done because of the lack of Guest Additions for DOS. But, take a look at Shared Folders/samba with DOS guest on VBox 4.1.8 and see if it helps. I've personally never had the need for it and have not done it.
  • VESA videomodes and direct access to RAM and VRAM, or any other direct access to hardware, cannot be done AFAIK, but someone else might know of a way. See below for mpack's answer.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

No version of VirtualBox provides Guest Additions for a DOS guest, hence GA shared folders are impossible. You can however set up a true network share: Shared folders with a DOS guest.
uMorra wrote: VB 3 doesn't give access to the floppy drive
Eh? Yes it did, though that point is moot since switching back and forth between v3 and v5 is definitely not recommended. Stick with v5.
uMorra wrote: and I can't execute primary loading from a diskette to set DOS on the virtualized HDD.
Sure you can. Just make sure you choose the correct guest template. That should add a floppy controller to the VM, and make the floppy first in the boot order. Both of these are configurable in the VM settings.

If you need to continue the discussion the provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (ONLY) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

socratis wrote: VESA videomodes and direct access to RAM and VRAM, or any other direct access to hardware, cannot be done AFAIK, but someone else might know of a way.
Actually, the default graphics adapter in VirtualBox is a VESA adapter, so this isn't a problem. This is the adapter that Win-DOS variants use, or any other guest that doesn't have GAs, and it works reasonably well considering. Direct VRAM access is ok too - that's how VESA always works - but it'll be simulated VRAM of course.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Thank you mpack for correcting my previous statement.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.