Question from Far Left Field

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
OmaSteak

Question from Far Left Field

Post by OmaSteak »

Hello,
In VB documentation, it says limited testing has been done installing DOS as a guest OS using VB. I'm running the current version of VB on a Windows 10 host with guest additions. I'd like to set-up a new guest based upon IBM PC DOS 7 to run NewDeal Office suite of programs which are based upon the Geos graphical user interface system which runs on top of DOS. This DOS/Geos guest system is not for any serious computing work but for a demonstration of early attempts at GUI before/shortly after Apple/Microsoft launched theirs. If this is a really stupid idea, then I'll hunt around for an old working 486/early Pentium based PC to be the platform. Thank you!
OmaSteak
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Question from Far Left Field

Post by Perryg »

You should be able to get it to work. Just remember to use setting values that were present in 1995.
Not sure about PC DOS 7 but use the equivalent of MS DOS idle to keep the CPU heat down.

Moving to Other Guests since the host should not matter.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Question from Far Left Field

Post by michaln »

PC DOS 7 is in my experience a good choice for two reasons, it installs POWER.EXE by default (which is what keeps CPU usage down), and it comes with a mouse driver (MOUSE.COM).

How well GEOS/NewDeal might work I have no idea, but it's not crazy to try.