Advanced Networking Problem, Is This Even Possible?

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Shadoron

Advanced Networking Problem, Is This Even Possible?

Post by Shadoron »

I'll try to keep this as condensed as possible. I honestly don't know if a solution exists to my problem. Here it goes:

I have an old piece of BBS software, that I am currently running under FreeDOS via VB. When I registered it many years ago, the software was locked to a public IP address I had at the time. I no longer own this static public IP. It communicates with another piece of BBS software that will run under Windows. I can set the public IP address into the software running under FreeDOS, but I can't seem to figure out a way to assign a private IP to VB, to then pass on the traffic to the simulated public IP.

Windows Host ------------> Virtual Box --------------> Emulated FreeDOS
192.168.1.2 ------------> 192.168.1.3 --------------> 66.77.88.99
Main BBS Server -----------> Middle Man --------------> BBS Sub-Software

That's what I'm trying accomplish. I want to be able to use the Main BBS server on my windows host, to connect to 192.168.1.3 on my private network(setting that IP to one of VB's software NICs?) and then have VB pass the traffic onto the DOS BBS sub-software, using what would be a public IP, being emulated under FreeDOS. I've tried looking into static routing, but that won't work if I can't get VB assigned to 192.168.1.3, while still have the public IP in the DOS software.

I can go into more detail if needed, but is this even possible to do? Can VB handle taking traffic in on 192.168.1.3 and passing it onto a guest OS that is bound to a public IP address within itself?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Advanced Networking Problem, Is This Even Possible?

Post by mpack »

Your Windows Host doesn't seem to be relevant to the question asked. Moving this to "Other Guests".

VirtualBox has no use for IP addresses, so it isn't meaningful to talk about assigning VitualBox an IP. It is software running inside the guest that needs to be assigned an IP. Typically the IP would either be statically configured, in the internet stack of the guest OS, or else the IP will be dynamically assigned by a DHCP server running somewhere on the network - typically a router on the local LAN.

VirtualBox implements a DHCP server for a few of its virtual networking modes, but I gather you want an actual network access, not a virtual one. In which case I'm not aware of any VirtualBox feature that would help you. VirtualBox's NAT mode in effect translates between external and internal IP addresses, but it isn't designed to use public IP address ranges for internal networking.

It sounds like, if this problem has a solution, you will have to solve it through FreeDOS.