VirtualBox 5.0.6 and OS/2 Warp 4.52 Client Video Issues

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
OS2Fan

VirtualBox 5.0.6 and OS/2 Warp 4.52 Client Video Issues

Post by OS2Fan »

Hello,

I'm currently running OS/2 Warp 4.5.2 with the latest version of VirtualBox and I CANNOT get the resolution / color depth to be anything other than 640x480x16.

I'm using the GENGRADD driver (the VGA GENGRADD) as required by the VB OS/2 Additions. All files have been copied, config.sys entries made, etc. as described in the Additions readme file but System > System Setup > Screen continually displays a single resolution, 640x480x16. There is no second page with monitor selection as I've heard some people describe. I have a single page, with that immutable selection, and it's driving me nuts.

If anyone has any idea how to get larger resolutions and color depths, I'd really appreciate some info.

Thanks.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: VirtualBox 5.0.6 and OS/2 Warp 4.52 Client Video Issues

Post by michaln »

OS2Fan wrote:anything other than 640x480x16
Is that 16 colors or 16 bits (i.e.64K colors)? I assume the former.

Double check the CONFIG.SYS changes. If in doubt, post the modified CONFIG.SYS here.
OS2Fan

Post by OS2Fan »

I ultimately decided to dump the GENGRADD driver/DLL that came with the OS2 additions. Either It doesn't work or I can't make it work with my installation.

By switching to the SciTech Display Doctor/se driver that comes with WARP 4.52, I get resolutions and color depths from 640x480x16 up to 1600x1200x16M. I can also now see the second page with the display/monitor information.

The Soundblaster 16 emulation seems to come and go but I've got TCP/IP networking in place and I'm sharing files with my other modern workstations. Also, kind of surreal to browse the Internet with Netscape Communicator again. :D
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

OS2Fan wrote:I ultimately decided to dump the GENGRADD driver/DLL that came with the OS2 additions. Either It doesn't work or I can't make it work with my installation.
Without knowing what you did exactly, there's not much to say.
By switching to the SciTech Display Doctor/se driver that comes with WARP 4.52, I get resolutions and color depths from 640x480x16 up to 1600x1200x16M. I can also now see the second page with the display/monitor information.
Yes, that will work just fine.