Need help making pc speaker work in dos guest

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
darkhog

Need help making pc speaker work in dos guest

Post by darkhog »

As in redirected to sound card. What I'm trying to do is to record "clean" version of music produced by DOS techno virus and because of nature of this program (a virus), I absolutely need to do it in the virtual machine. Can't use DosBox or anything like that, as I don't know how to secure it so it won't affect my system (plus probably techno isn't dosbox-compatible).

First thing I've tried was to use VMWare Player, but it just played the tune via the actual pc speaker in my computer (how I have no idea as my host is Windows 7 and beep api was changed in Vista and later to redirect audio to the soundcard). Then I've tried to run it on VirtualBox, but here it was just silent. Any idea on how to make it work?

Guest: Dos 6.22
Host: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Need help making pc speaker work in dos guest

Post by michaln »

VirtualBox currently does not support/emulate the PC speaker. So without writing some code, silence is the expected result.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Need help making pc speaker work in dos guest

Post by scottgus1 »

You might be able to record the music off this Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn756-Ypamw