Appliance importation error

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
Kevin666
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: LinuxMint MATE, Windows 7, Windows XP, SUSE

Appliance importation error

Post by Kevin666 »

Hi,

i have been trying to get this appliance to import into V5 and get the following error, which would imply its the software vendors issue or is it?? and can it be fixed??, at the moment the only way to import this, is into VB competition software (cough!! - VMWare) and would rather not have to if possible. I appreciate it is labelled vmware but my understanding was that OVA and OVF were defined formats and therefore should be importable by anyone, assuming all things being equal. TIA

Code: Select all

Failed to import appliance /mnt/DATA/Technologies/Datapower Software/XI152_v6/xi6001.vmware_nonpd.ova.

Internal inconsistency looking up disk image 'cs-bundle.msg'. Check compliance OVA package structure and file names references in the section <References> in the OVF file..

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ApplianceWrap
Interface: IAppliance {8398f026-4add-4474-5bc3-2f9f2140b23e}
If recoverable myself some step-by-step for thickies would be useful :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Appliance importation error

Post by mpack »

"Internal inconsistency" is not very informative. Also "cs-bundle-msg" is an unlikely name for a disk image.

What do you get if you just unpack the archive? ISTR OVA is just a tar archive - so rename it to .tar and unpack it with WinZip or whatever. If you extract a VMDK then convert this to VDI before use. Do NOT attempt to use the original streamed-compressed VMDK directly in a VM.
Kevin666
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: LinuxMint MATE, Windows 7, Windows XP, SUSE

Re: Appliance importation error

Post by Kevin666 »

Thanks for reply - OK managed to get round this by importing into VMWare and then exporting it to OVF and importing into VB seems to work OK just pain to have to do it that way from the vendor supplied OVA.