Yosemite Guest on Linux Host. USB drive not showing up.

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
SavageFred

Yosemite Guest on Linux Host. USB drive not showing up.

Post by SavageFred »

I'm setting up an os x guest on a linux host and am having trouble connecting a USB HDD.

I'm running Ubuntu trusty 14.04 on a 2010-ish macbook pro. The guest OS is a hackintosh version of Yosemite. The hardware is obviously all compatible with my guest OS, but it is not mounting my external USB drive. I set up a USB flag for the drive in the virtualbox UI, but it still doesn't display. The USB drive is formatted as fat32. All I need to get off it a time machine backup

Virtualbox is stopping the drive from mounting in Ubuntu, which is a good start. When I list all USB devices and drives in the terminal on my guest, it's not showing the drive or recognizing that anything is plugged in to the port.

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this. I've been looking around (I've even gone to the second page of google search results... ) but this seems like a pretty unique situation. It seems like most of the support is targeted at mac on windows. It looks like this is a common problem for virtualbox, but all of the trouble shooting guides I've found are solutions for different combinations of operating systems. I'll try to hack something together, but I feel like I'm missing a simple solution.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Edit: I think I found the problem. The drive is USB 3.0, and vb only supports 2.0. A USB 2.0 thumbdrive was recognized by the guest OS.
Last edited by SavageFred on 11. Jun 2015, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Yosemite Guest on Linux Host. USB drive not showing up.

Post by loukingjr »

First the extension pack needs to be installed and you have to add your user name to the vboxusers group then reboot your host.
I set up a USB flag for the drive in the virtualbox UI, but it still doesn't display
If by USB flag you mean a USB filter, Linux hosts do not need USB filters.

Attach the vbox.log (compressed) for the guest.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
SavageFred

Post by SavageFred »

loukingjr wrote:First the extension pack needs to be installed and you have to add your user name to the vboxusers group then reboot your host.
I set up a USB flag for the drive in the virtualbox UI, but it still doesn't display
If by USB flag you mean a USB filter, Linux hosts do not need USB filters.

Attach the vbox.log (compressed) for the guest.
Thanks for the reply! I meant filter when I said flag. I found the issue. I was using a USB 3.0 drive which isn't supported yet. A USB 2.0 drive mounted just fine. I'll switch everything over and go from there.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Welcome.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.