Black screen on Virtual box with Android

Discussions about using non Windows and Linux guests such as FreeBSD, DOS, OS/2, OpenBSD, etc.
aphandersen
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Android

Black screen on Virtual box with Android

Post by aphandersen »

I have Android installed on my Virtual Box and it generally works fine. But if the Android system is inactive in a few minutes (app. 5 minutes), then a black screen shows and I am not able to wake it from this. Is there a shortkey or something to wake Android on Virtualbox from this black screen?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Black screen on Virtual box with Android

Post by loukingjr »

Android is not a supported guest in VirtualBox so Android questions should be directed to the authors who created the Android emulator you are running.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
aphandersen

Post by aphandersen »

loukingjr wrote:Android is not a supported guest in VirtualBox so Android questions should be directed to the authors who created the Android emulator you are running.
I am not running an android emulator. I am running the official Android OS on VIrtualbox. If someone has experienced the same issue and have a solution to the problem, I will be thankful.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I think you are missing the point. Android is not supported in this forum. Better?
aphandersen

Post by aphandersen »

loukingjr wrote:I think you are missing the point. Android is not supported in this forum. Better?
That is okay, I will ask somewhere else if it is a problem. The reason why I chose this forum, is because it is not an Android-related problem but a problem related to how VIrtualbox control the installed virtual OS.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Actually it doesn't sound like a VirtualBox problem at all. No doubt Android has a setting to put its display to sleep after a certain period of inactivity. The setting would be in the Android settings, not the VirtualBox settings.
aphandersen

Post by aphandersen »

loukingjr wrote:Actually it doesn't sound like a VirtualBox problem at all. No doubt Android has a setting to put its display to sleep after a certain period of inactivity. The setting would be in the Android settings, not the VirtualBox settings.
Yes, but if you had Android installed on a tablet and it went to inactivity state (pause state) you would just press the power button. When it is installed on VirtualBox, you have to send a signal from Virtualbox to the OS like the power button.

I have actually just found the solution, in case other people experience this. When it gets a black screen you just choose "Machine" and then "ACPI shutdown". This should wake it from the inactivity state.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I've tried to explain the best I could. The "ACPI Shutdown" has nothing to do with the Android OS, is not what it's for, and if it happens to work it's by sheer luck. VirtualBox does not support Android which is why certain things don't work the way they would if the Android OS was supported.

Perhaps that's a better explanation.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Moving to other guests